Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first upright bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by scbanjoman, Oct 16, 2004.

1. scbanjoman

scbanjoman Guest

i got my first double bass,it is an engelhardt supreme.I took it and had it set up they took the bridge off and put a maple one on and adjusted the sound post and told me that for a couple of weeks i might hear all kind of sounds from it till it settles,i dont know,but after playing an electric it just doesnt seem loud enough on the a and e string when i fret a c or g, but maybe its just me.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  3. Did a pro luthier set up your bass? It may be that the strings that came with your bass may be strings that are not good for pizz and are strings made for bowing. As Ray said, you need a teacher! You are a Newbie......please spend some time on the Newbie Links and the archives to learn about the instrument. You don't "fret" a c or g on the double bass because there are no frets on a DB.
    Welcome to TBDB!

4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Don't fret. Get it? Oh man am I bored. Seriously, is it proper to say intonate?

scbanjoman - From what I can gather after reading another similar thread, the transition from electric to double is quite excruciating without the gentle guidance of a good teacher. Props for making the leap, though. I'm still thumping an electric fretless and looking to TBDB as some far-off land that I may get to someday...

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Db's are like old houses. If you sit reaaaal quiet next to one you'll hear all kinds of intresting noises.

6. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    That's kind of spooky, Don.

[cue thunder clap, lightning flash]
    -in best creaky Vincent Price -
    "Mwahahaha..hahaa..hahaha..."
    [cue screaching cat]

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    So I guess I'm becoming like a DB, or an old house. I don't think you even have to be all that quiet to hear the noises (according to my wife).

8. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    He said interesting noises, as a matter of faxt

9. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
  10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Looks like a pretty good one page overview, might help until you get yourself a DOUBLE BASS TEACHER.

As a curmudgeon-in-training, I'm glad to have the group of Curmudgeons Laureate available to share their hard earned knowledge. There are people here who were playing double bass way before I was, and I've been doing it a long time. You won't see me rolling my eyes at this group.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Generally, an ok article. Nothing after 'get a teacher' is going to make much sense without a teacher. A few minor 'chestnut' misconceptions, but nothing major.

12. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm sorry Marcus, I meant no disrespect to the group. I hold DB in the highest regard.

And I was the one who went OT in the first place, scbanjoman was asking about creaky-ness due to settling. Maybe because that was first reaction due to reading threads in the forum about the importance of getting a good teacher right from the start. Posting the article wasn't an attempt to be contrary.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    No worries, mate. I might print that page out, just as a little daily affirmation for new students.