Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First upright bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Nick man, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hi

Although Im not new to TB, this is my first time actually doing anything on the DB side.

I have only played upright basses a few times, and know little about them, but I know that it would be great to have one to learn to play on.

My question is, what is a good inexpensive full scale upright bass that I should look into as a first, and how much should I expect to pay?

I am not particular to acoustic vs. electric, and which everway I could get a decent bass for learning on I will go.

Although there is the chance I may use it to perform, I am only concerned about a learners bass, so I dont need the best sounding bass.

Thank you for your time.

Peace
    Nick

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    From one Nick to another, let me make three points:

1. Welcome to the DB side of TB.
    2. Have you read all the Newbie information? There exists a plethora of suggestions about new instruments. (Just stay away from the Cremona/Palatino/Skylark crap. They sell all over the net. Junkycrappoopbass.) Inform yourself with those posts, first.
    3. Your parents picked a great name.

happy trails...

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks Nick!

Im sorry I didnt bother checking the newbie info section since in my neck of the wood it wouldnt have contained the information I wanted.

Ill check that out.

Peace
    Nick