1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First World Problem/ OCD kinda thing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bodeanly, Jul 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cut a new pickguard

76 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. Move the neck holes

31 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Nothing. Play as is.

17 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Original plan: paint it _____ and use the original neck.

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Update:
    You guys are awesome! There is a lot of stuff here I would have never considered, and a lot of stuff that is just plain ridiculous (but it's cool because I can appreciate ridiculous). However, I have decided to plug/ redrill the neck, based on several of your observations, including: a new pickguard would only cover the OCD-inducing gap (anyone read The Tell-Tale Heart?) and the distance between the bridge and the nut on this bass is about 1/4" longer than the distance on its identical twin. Thank you for your time. God bless.

Original Post:
    Hello. Instead of painting this thing (I already have a CAR Jag), I have decided to give it a maple neck for a different look. However, my OCD is going off the charts with this freakin' gap. What should I do?

IMG_3936.JPG

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Tom Bomb likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Does it intonate properly where it is now? Moving the neck holes may also mean moving the bridge.

3. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Yes, it intonates just fine. I just can't get past the gap. I'm a freakin' freak!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    Maybe just cut a new pick guard?

5. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    That's kinda where I'm leaning (it's one of the poll options).

bholder likes this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Bo, the new neck was pre-drilled? As, this is the neck's 'final' spot? If so, and you still have screw purchase, I'd fill in the original holes, move the neck down, clamp, and redrill... @bholder has a great point with bridge placement, but I'm thinking there's enough range in the saddle placement to compensate for the gap...

... obviously, not a one-for-one replacement? I like your thinking with the maple neck, though...

... btw, my OCD is currently on a 9 month journey to Mars... I haven't seen a gap like that, since the original Wonder Woman...

7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    It'd bug me too, but unless you've got lots of saddle travel left, moving the neck further in would mean moving the bridge back, so I voted for the new pg too.

Bodeanly likes this.
  8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    :woot::roflmao:drool

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I couldn't help myself... both of you know it, too.

10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Truth!

Spidey2112 and Bodeanly like this.
  11. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I generally wouldn't mind a gap like this, but it reminds me of the ex's smile. :woot:

The saddles might have enough adjustment in them to not have to move the bridge.

The neck is not new. I've had it for years and used it on many a bass body. Never had a gap like this before though. I kinda maybe don't wanna put more holes in it, especially so close to the existing ones. I have no experience with that.

Y'all think a new guard should be the first order of business?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  12. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    If that's your thing, consider doing something crazy and original, like filling the gap with some fluffy fabric (make sure it doesn't interfere with the strings)

RaggaDruida and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  13. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I don't think this is a cosmetic problem. The neck doesn't fit properly. Fill the old holes with hardwood and glue, and drill new holes.
    Instant proper fit and no extra holes.
    I can't cite a study as are becoming more often demanded on TB as of late, but one of the pretty well established set up tricks to increase sustain on a bolt on is to loosen the neck screws and let the string tension suck butt of the neck into tight contact with the body.
    Yes it is important to close the gap.

bassdude51, Honch, leonard and 4 others like this.
  14. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA

Attached Files:

Londo Molari, McFarlin and hondo4life like this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Chug, chug, chug, chug... Woohoo... Woohoo! I think I can, I think I can...

... do it. You possibly could be off just as much with a new pickguard, depending on your trace and who does it...

... do it, and don't try and flick me off your shoulder, cause I'll take the A train to Satan's Alley, and you''ll never get rid of me.

Edit: Agreeing with @RED J ... still speaking to @Bodeanly ...

16. Just think, when you're playing it, you can't see that. So, in the immortal words of FZ:

17. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Yeah, but I'm really vain and it would be in all the pics of me performing. My friends would eff with me and tag the gap all over the Internet.

Oddly and Buzz E like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You could do worse... it could be your family doing the same thing...

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Pickguard. Since you keep reusing the neck if you make permanent changes to body you're stuck with it.
    Pickguard just so easy!
    There are enough routings in some Fender basses to call them semi acoustic. :) If sound was an issue you'd be here venting about loss of tone because of the gap.
    New Pickguard. Wait, did I say that out loud?

cchorney and Bodeanly like this.
  20. nbsipics

nbsipics Bass Plasma Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I tend to agree with the above. But then again, I don't have to pay for it, eh? Good luck.

Bodeanly likes this.