1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First world spoiled bedroom player problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashtray, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Savagehenry

Savagehenry Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Northern Illinois
    No good answer that hasn’t already been offered here yet...I’m just here to applaud you for having the temerity to be bluntly honest with your thread title...:thumbsup:

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Where's your closest Von's? Stater Bros.?

3. Okay, since you don't gig anymore sell all the equipment that you don't routinely use. Take that money and buy a mixer and a good pair of headphones. That way, it guess directly to your ears!

AudioTaper and smogg like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Build a ridiculously cheap yet sturdy stand out of 2X4s......whatever height that makes you smile. Unless you are the least handy person on Earth, going to buy 2X4s should take longer than slapping together a cube made out of them.

While you are out shopping for 2X4s, get a few yards of fabric that goes with your bedding, flooring, walls, and/or drapes.

While you're out, swing by the grocery store and get some maple bacon. Because bacon.

When you get home, slap together the 2X4s in the shape of a cube. Cook the bacon. Throw the fabric over your new stand so that the fabric hangs to the ground completely hiding your new sturdy stand. It will look like a designer table just for your amp.

Eat bacon and play bass.

Smile.

Two 212 Aggie cabs in your bedroom is like taking a dump truck to Lowe's to get two bags of mulch. While I love a good dump truck, that's just stupid.

cchorney, johnpbass, ashtray and 5 others like this.
  5. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Hey I'll thank you for the OP,
    Thank you!

funkinbottom likes this.
  6. Tilt back stand or if you're broke (not likely with that rig) just tilt it back and lean it against something 'til the cab is pointing at your head. That's what most of us do.

7. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Put a pizza box with the lid held open 45 degrees with duct tape in front of it and bounce/reflect the sound up towards your ears. Maybe use a second one on top open 135 degrees and make a sound periscope to bounce it towards you. Plus you'll have a pizza.

If the aesthetics bother you, get the pizza from an upscale place.

Savagehenry, cchorney and Jared Lash like this.
  8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Why do you have a coffee table in your room?
    The bedroom amp fills all roles: Table, bar, rolling station, laundry room, nightstand, overflow seating, etc.

9. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That there's a good name for a country song, I tell you what.

10. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Lansing, MI
    Unless you have a really large bedroom, you’re probably not hearing the full tonal range of your amp. I don’t want to crush your dream but if you’re flat broke, you probably shouldn’t buy another 2x12 cab Right now. How about a nice set of headphones?

11. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe try this?

12. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Sell it all and buy one of the new TE Elf 8" combos.

13. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Flight cases. They go with any decor, match everything, and look cool. I use 'em for everything, including a coffee table.
    You see gear cases in this photo. I see tables, chairs, amp stands, pet carriers.....

IMG_0566.JPG

cchorney and Eighthnoterock like this.
  14. LUCE

LUCE

Jan 9, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Two cinder blocks.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  15. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Years ago before family life and I was able to go to concerts, I went to see Rasputina. (Great "weird" band if you like "weird" bands even if there is no bass) Their rig was an Epifani 212 cab with an 8-space rack of effects and preamps with a Walter Woods 1KW amp. All of that was up on one of these amp stands. Couldn't find a good picture, but you can see the top of the speaker and the rack there in the middle.
    The stand is more than enough for a bedroom setup and is easier than building something.
    Bacon and dump trucks are optional (and encouraged)
    20190211_231921.

MarkA likes this.
  16. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Similar to two fingers and paulabass build our buy a stand that gets you to where you want to be then cover it with some bulk cloth. Our drummer and harp player each had a portable table for their junk and we had a table for tip jar, biz cards and cd's. All drapped in black cloth. Worked great I used to put my 4X10 cabinet on the pa amp flight case, I didn't cover it but I did place a gig bag in front of the case.

17. Leg reduction surgery.

18. I primarily play at church now and use the case I have for my Ashdown CTM 100 for my cab and amp to boost them up.

19. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    johnpbass, funkinbottom and equill like this.
  20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Milk crates also work great!