1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fish for food

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chunk-O-Funk, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Anybody have any good fish recipes?

I'm trying to keep fish a more consistent thing in my diet but usually keep getting the same old thing. Cod! I've done stuffed, breaded, with a mango salsa, and some other variations of baked, pan seared, etc.

I seem to prefer white fish, not much of a fan of salmon, tuna or swordfish. I haven't tried anything like Tilapia or Orange Roughy yet. Well, I guess I would be open to some salmon recipes. I have only had it a couple of times in restaurants and maybe just haven't had a good dish yet. I know salmon is supposed to be really good for you. Just trying to keep fish a more interesting thing to cook and eat.

Any recommendations on fish or recipes?

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Get a catfish fillet and put it on the grill with salted bacon on top of it.

You need:

Grill
    Catfish fillet
    Salted bacon
    Maybe some lemon and Pepper.

Put catfish on the grill and put bacon on top and you could pepper it a bit (if I you want to… its good either way). Close the grill (way you open close is up to you and your taste). You can also add some smoke chips to it for smoke flavor
    Cook it, when it time to flip take the bacon off flip the fish then put bacon back on top.
    When done, eat it… maybe with some lemon but its good either way.
    (Do not eat the bacon, well you could but why when you got catfish)...

cat fish is the best fish EVER!

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    are you eating more fish for the omega-3-fatty-acids? if so, then you can take fish oil capsules to get them

-jimbo

4. Not really the main reason, but yes. It's one of the benefits. I'm trying to eat healthier, plus I happen to like fish and simply don't cook enough of it on my own.

About three or so years ago I found out that I have type 2 diabetes, so I am limited to what I enjoy to eat, plus my doctor put me on Zocor. High cholesterol and heart disease is the number one killer of people with diabetes, so it only makes sense to eat more of something I like.

Thanks Kserg!
    For some reason, I don't think I've ever had cat fish. I caught more than one in my life but never ate it.

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Highly recommended!!!

Tilapia is a sweet, tender fish that does not need much added to it. A little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, then cook it up in a frying pan (sear? saute? sorry, I'm not up on my cooking terminology :) ) Serve it up with a magno/corn/anything else you would like to add salsa and enjoy!! Tilapia is also great with Japanese bread crumbs (panko.)

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    One of my favorite ways of doing salmon is to start by pan searing it, then once you've done one side a nice crispy brown, flip and add some Red Stripe Jamaican lager...turn it down and cook for the remaining time adding more Red Stripe as it reduces down until done. Salt, pepper etc. and you're done.

Today I've got some bass that I'm going to smoke on the grill.

7. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    A definitive favorite of mine is ceviche!!! It will work with any white non-flaky fish. Basically what you do is:
    1. Get juice from about 8 limes and 2 smal oranges. mix
    2. Chop white and red onions in fine julienne.
    3. Chop some cilantro finely
    4. add some julienes of red pepper if you want
    5. Get some fish fillets (sea bass is quite good, tilapia is also very good), cut in cubes.
    6. boil 1lt of water with some lime juice in it.
    7. Dump the fish cubes in (NO MORE THAN 1 MINUTE!!!!!)...believe me it will finish "cooking up" in the lime juice.
    8. dump the fish cubes, onions and cilantro in the lime/orange juice
    9. add 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
    10. Add salt, pepper and tabasco

Enjoy!

8. Ceviche is great! Here is something I do every week or so:

Take a couple of salmon filets and marinade them for one to two hours in lemon juice. You want the filets to turn dull pink on most of the outside. Transfer to a pan. Cook with just enough heat to get a slight simmer adding herbs to the top of the salmon as it cooks. I use a Nantucket seafood rub which rocks. You want it to barely cook through. I have special pans that speed up cook time so I would guess between 15 minutes to maybe 20 for your average pan. I serve it with sushi rice sans sushi vinegar. Very simple... but very good. Use the lemon juice on the rice. Just make sure that you don't over cook it! That's what makes salmon really good. This recipe is pretty healthy and everyone I have ever cooked it for loved it.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sushi!

You will need:
    • Rice
    • Rice Vinegar
    • Sugar
    • Salt
    • Nori (roasted seaweed sheets)
    • Fresh raw fish
    • Toppings (cream cheese, cucumber, avacado, asparagus, crab, etc)
    • Wasabi
    • Pickled ginger slices.

Cooking:
    1. Get some short grain rice and rinse it untill the water runs clear.
    2. Leave rice soaking in water for 15-30 minutes. Use just enough water to cover the rice.
    3. While the rice is soaking mix rice vinegar with sugar and salt in a small saucepan on low heat to help it all disolve. (I think its about 1/4 cup of vinegar per cup of rice, 2 tbsp sugar, and 1 tsp salt. Check online for recipes; I usually just do it by sight/ taste.)
    4. Cook the rice and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
    5. Move the rice into a glass or wooden bowl and spread it carefully so you dont mash it and sprinkle the vinegar mixture over it while mixing the rice by folding it over it self.
    6. Again let the rice sit for a few minutes.
    7. Place the nori on a sheet of wax paper and spread a thin layer of rice over it. Add fish and any other toppings.
    8. Roll the whole thing tightly, and cut it with a sharp moist knife while its still in the paper.
    9. Unroll and enjoy with some soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger.

My experince has been that salmon is always good and easy to find, but that tuna, yellow tail, and almost any fish works. Ive been told that its best to use small fish since there is less chance that they've aquired any parasites or bacteria in doses that would you make you sick.

It helps if you have one of those mats to roll the sushi but Ive done it without them before. They are cheap and you can probably find one at a local grocery store if not an asian food market. Same goes for the rice, nori, wasabi, and ginger.

PS: :ninja:

10. Pan fried smelt. Almost like candy, but a lot greasier.:D

Okay, maybe that's not the healthiest thing you could eat, but damn if it don't taste good.

Just take any fish, fillet it, and grill the hell out of it. Grilled fish, no matter what kind, is good. I usually throw on a little oregano, plus some of that Johnny's All Seasoning. Perfecto.

Rock on
    Eric

11. When working with sushi rice use a solution of warm water and vinegar to coat your hands with to keep the rice from sticking to you.

I get my sushi grade fish from Whole Foods. Only place in a 30 mile radius that is trust worthy. Not sure what you might have in Rhode Island but I bet you won't have any problems being so close to the ocean.

12. IME, catfish is the nastiest fish you can eat unless it's cooked immediately after being caught. To each his own I suppose..

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

yeah, but my opinion is so much better then yours :D

14. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    LOL

Personally, I really don't like mushy fish. "Mushy fish" is a term my dad used to use when he was my age to describe the fish he didnt like. Last night I actually had some excellent Yellowtail sashimi at a Chinese/French place in brooklyn (called Chance if anyone is interested. its SUCH a good place to eat and if you're lucky, one of their cd's has a Dream Theater track on it for some reason... I was so excited to hear that played in a restaurant).

Try to find a good recipe for whitefish salad! I believe it's pretty fatty, but its SUCH a good spread to use. You could probably jusy buy it, though it's a little pricey. but then again so is fish in general...

But my all time favorite fish recipe is whitefish on an everything bagel with cream cheese. haven't had that in years...

15. Saba Shoiyaki-Salted,Broiled Macrel.:eek: :smug: :)

16. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens

Tilapia's pretty ok, however it's a farm raised fish. Idk how much you know about it, but those pens are usually overpacked which exaserbates any disease or impurities within the fish. Also, they're pretty freakin bad for the environment. Unfortunately, people don't wanna pay too much for their fish, so that and over-seas corporations overfishing, creates the necessity for these farms. Sorry, I used to work in a fish market and 3generations back were commercial fisherman (until it became too expensive to run a private boat).

Personally, I'm a fan flounder, sole, anythign flaky and white. Ever have orado or porgy? Orado is a sweet headfish from the Med that's sick on the grill with salt, lemon, and olive oil. Porgy is from the atlantic (local to the north east-ish) can be baked or cooked the same way.

A note on large steakfish (tuna, sword, halibut, etc) adults, depending on weight, shouldn't eat more than 12 oz of them a week (i think... could be amonth but that seems long) because of mercury build up in their mussles. It's a toxicity thing. Frankly, I don't worry about it, but just a thought.

The best thing about fish is how easy it is to cook, and as long as you're not a complete slob, it's really hard to get sick from it. Pretty much any recipe u can think of will transfer from fish to fish and taste completely different.

I <3 fish.:p

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    In my book, you can't beat salmon on the grill with garlic and olive oil. Good, and good for you.

Also..Serg, catfish is nasty.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks for the tip. That has always been a PITA