1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fish tanks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WookieeForLife, Oct 3, 2009.

1. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Anyone have a fishtank in OT? I just wanna comment on mine. I got it in midsummer. I have a betta and some community fish. I also bought a pleco (suckerfish). That suckerfish keeps my tank spotless. I also have a kick butt filter. Between the two, I only have to change the water once a month and clean the tank once every 6 months. So far I only had one causuality, a fish got in a fight with the betta and lost. I guess the betta set an example of it. They all get along now. Any fishtank stories?

2. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    What sort of community fish do you keep with the betta? My betta is in 5 gallons by himself. He's a bit of a brute; straw wrappers held up to the side if the tank make him go nuts! :p

3. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Not sure on the community fish. Got them at walmart. They are dull in color and have dark lines on them with lighter bellies. They are fun to watch. I'm thinking of putting a crawfish in with them or in my betta's old tank. My betta is acctualy very very very mellow. He got beat up once by a bigger goldfish. I think I even posted a thread on it.

4. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Zebra danio?
    Copy%20of%20sbs_zebra.
    The crawfish can be pretty quick when they need to be; if they can get ahold of a fish -and they will try- the fish will be dinner.

5. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    I've had a 50 gallon tank for about 6 years now.
    I got a bunch of different fish, largest group of a single species is my 10 Brochis splendens catfish. I have two pearl and two marbled gouramis, a rubberose pleco, a single corydora, one blackskirt tetra, a raphael catfish, and a single praecox rainbowfish as well. We also have a betta we keep seperately in a larger bowl. Haven't had too many deaths lately, even though I only change the water and clean the filter every few months. I have a lot of plants in my tank, which help keep the water quality good.
    Just a few months ago, a few of my then 5 Brochis splendens spawned, and somehow 5 of the babies managed to survive in a community tank. So that's how I now have 10 of them now. First time in all these years I've had a successful spawning. I must be doing something right, heh.
    A few years back I had a bunch of different loaches. The khuli loaches were my favorite, but they and all my other loaches mysteriously died one summer while I was away for a few weeks. Can't be sure why, since my dad was the only one attending to my fish. Maybe I'll get some again some day. Khuli loaches are such interesting fish.

6. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Cool! My betta killed the fish and hid the body under a rock o_O. Anyways yes they are the zebra fish. A little question, How do I get them to spawn?

7. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    I play bonjovie, but it doesnt work :(

8. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    I've had a fairly large aquarium for a number of years now. Probably verging on seven or eight (pretty, crazy that's almost half my lifetime!) I can't remember how many gallons it is though; at least 50. The only two inhabitants anymore are a six inch long Bicher and a two foot long Tire Track Eel. I think I've had those two fish for about six years now. I've had a lot of other fish in the past, but never had any luck with them living very long.

9. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Went through 3 attempts at green spotted puffers, but i've lost them every time. Twice I overdid it with the salt while trying to acclimate them to brackish water; and once, I got lazy with my tank maintenance.

Had an oscar that grew to about the size of my hand. Started feeding him live crickets, which must have given him a taste for meat. I came home from work one day to find him dead with the tail end of a pleco hanging out of his mouth. He choked on it.

10. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    OMG!

11. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Sorry, but eels freak me out.

12. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    During my time with one batch of puffers, their tank cracked and I had to temporarily house them with the oscar. The puffers had oscar's fins almost completely gone within 2 days. I got the puffers out of there and into a new tank as soon as I could, only to lose them a week later.
    Nursed the oscar back to health; his fins grew back; but he had to go and be an idiot and eat that pleco... :rollno:

13. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    My pleco is nocturnal. Very light sensative. Hides under a rock during day and feasts at night.

14. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    www.myspace.com/nekonomaru - check out my picture albums. No recent pics, things have changed a bit, but got a bunch of aquarium pics in there.

Used to have 13 in the house, now down to just one, and my hex I turned into a terrarium. the 55 gallon has my koi, gangster comets, and a bunch of other freshwater nice ones.

15. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    Well, I never really tried to get the fish to spawn. They kinda just did it on their own. The conditions have to be right for them to breed. You can get them to spawn sometimes by increasing or decreasing the temperature or lighting, depending on the species. It makes them think it's a change of seasons. You'll have to look up the specifics for whatever species you have. Raising fry is usually best done in a separate breeding tank, to keep them from being eaten by the adults in a community tank, but sometimes a lucky few will make it while among other larger fish.

16. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Cool. Thanks. I still gotta buy a heater.

17. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    What do you guys think of putting minnows in my tank after my fish die?

18. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    First do water changes weekly...not monthly. If you want to breed fishes, I recommend cichlids. They are great fun & protect their young. Convicts are very easy to breed.

19. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Cichlids are fun. I kept them exclusively till I got my koi.

20. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I heard that Mollies breed like crazy.