Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fish

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Mar 7, 2005.

1. anyone here know anything about keeping fish as pets?

i just bought a tank and want to get started, but I know squat.

i wanted orignally to keep turtles, but now i would like the japanese fighting fish

question - can i keep more than one if they are of the same sex?

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Well you've gotta be careful taking them for a walk.

It was bad. I miss my fishy. :crying: :bawl: :crying:

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The biggest reason fish die is people over feed them.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

First setup the tank. Make sure it is on a level surface and a strong one. Each gallon wt is close to 8 lbs, plus gravel etc. a 10 gal tank will wt close to a 100lbs.
    Clean sand or gravel with cold water. Put it in the tank , fill it slow. Wait an hour to let heater get used to the temp then plug it in 77 degrees is a good temp to start with. Let it sit 12 to 24 hrs so the dust settles before you start filter. No chlorine remover is need if the water ages atleast 24-36 hrs.

Then unless you know someone with a tank you will need a trip to the store for this. Ask for old gravel, or filter media. Put that in the tank. You need to start your bacteria that helps break down ammonia to nitrite then finally to nitrate(good plant food). Then in a day or two add a fish....one...unless they are small ones like guppies/tetras etc. then you can add a few.

Read online, there is alot of info out there.

How big of tank?? What kind of fish are you going to keep?

japanese fighting fish?? You me Betta's??? If that is what you are keeping than one male fish only. Even other fish wont work with them because they will nip at the fins of your Betta.

Filters are not necessary if you keep alot of plants with the Betta. Feed once every other day. Another tip is look at the size of the eye of the fish....remember that its stomach is that size also.

5. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    NEVER clean the inside of the tank with windex....I miss my fish. So peaceful and relaxing.....

6. Fish creep me out.

So does Fish:
    [​IMG]

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Japenses (or Siamese) Fighters are cool! Being the fish tank "expert", my girlfriend just asked me to set up a tank for her siamese fighter. He's a cool purple and red colour and his fins are long and beautiful. I've had a few over the years and they are actually very easy fish to look after. The trick to keeping any fish is to set the tank up correctly in the beginning. Believe me it saves a lot of mucking around later on.

For starters, only get one fish. Any more than that and they will fight each other to the death, especially if there are 2 or more males.

In the wild they live in puddles. Because of this, pet stores try to sell them as fish you can shove into a vase or small fish bowl without any filtration. Be wary of this. They may be "labrynth" fish, which means they are able to produce their own oxygen, but they can not survive too long in a tank which has no means of breaking down their waste and uneated food. If you decide to do it this way, you'll be doing water changes every second day.

This is where the good bacteria that Odie mentioned comes in to it. Think of it as the tank's sewerage system. If you can't get a hold of gravel from an established tank, you can generate your own good bacteria, but it takes a little longer. I use a product called "Cycle" which is basically millions of good bacteria in a bottle. Use it as directed to run a "New Tank Cycle" and in about 7 days, the tank will be ready to go. Don't be tempted to rush it. There are a series of chemical reactions that happen over that 7 days, all of which aren't visible to the naked eye, but some of which are lethal for fish. It has to run it's full cycle - I can't stress this enough.

You hear a lot of people saying that had fish but they all died. This is why! Most people don't know about the good bacteria cycle. Once you know this, fish keeping is a breeze.

Believe it or not, this bacteria does actually drown over time. Their prefered environment is a wet/dry combination (serious fish keepers use wet/dry trickle filters). To combat this, do regular water changes of only 1/3 of the tank water - no more. While you're there, add some "Cycle" to replenish the good bacteria.

Oh and if possible, don't use water straight from the tap. I like to keep a container of water which is treated with a water conditioner which gets rid of Chlorine and other minerals, all of which kill your fish over time. Any pet store will sell it to you and it's not expensive. I let it sit for weeks but you don't have to go that that extreme. The day before you are going to do a water change, fill a bucket, add the water conditioner, cover it with a lid of some sort, and let it sit overnight.

Let me know if you need any more help.

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    This is the most important thing regarding keeping fish that anyone will tell you (other than putting them in water and keeping proper temperature). Fish typically die from ammonia build up due to over feeding.

Understand this:

Food + fish = crap and uneaten food. Both of these things are broken down by bacteria and form ammonia. Ammonia is very toxic to fish. Ammonia is then converted nitrite (less harmful) and ultimately nitrate (harmless at fish tank levels and is actually used by algae, hence algae buildup in your tank - time for a PARTIAL water change) by other bacteria. IF YOU OVERFEED, THE CRAP AND UNEATEN FOOD WILL ALLOW AMMONIA LEVELS TO SPIKE FASTER THAN THE BACTERIA CAN CONVERT IT TO NITRATE. YOUR FISH WILL DIE.

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Regarding the Bettas...

As others said, two or more shouldn't be kept together, hence their nickname. I also would not keep them with other fish. They have long flowing tails and are slow. Just about every other fish you put with them will want to bite their fins and ultimately end up killing them. I worked in a fish store throughout my teens and saw this repeatedly.

My advice - skip the betta. If you really want one, put it in small fishbowl and save your tank for mixed tropicals. Bettas live in puddles in nature and will be fine with much less than a gallon of water.

10. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    How long do fish usually live? I'd like to start a tank back up, but it was depressing watching them die, especially the last few. I must have gotten some really bad bacteria in there or something. Their eyes got all cloudy, they kept doing flips. It was heart wrenching.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually Nitirite is very fatal, more so tham amonia. Fish can survive mild amonia poisoning but nitrite in tiny quantities will kill them very quickly.

Nitrates are generally harmless but you should still get rid of it once in a while with water changes.

I've had a beta in a community tank. It can be done but you have to be very selective about it's tankmates.

I had mine in with some powder blue dwarf gourami's, some cardinal tetra's, some silver dollars, bumble bee goby's, a clown loach, and some freaky see-through glass catfish. They were cool. You could see the food sitting in their stomachs after they fed...........

Notice none of these tankmates have long fins. That's the secret.

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Depends on the fish breed. I've got a Olive green severum and a up-side-down cat fish that are 5 years old. They've seen a few tankmates come and go.

Sounds to me like your fish picked up a disease. Some medication might have fixed it. I always start with "Melafix" because it's natural and doesn't harm the biological filter (it doesn't kill your good bacteria). If that doesn't work, I enlist help from the guys at the pet store who all know me quite well by now :)