Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fishin' for cheapos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

As my birthday is coming soon and I'm expecting a small amount of cash from family etc :D i was considering to buy some el cheapo to have fun with.. Perhaps Squire Precision 5 or Yamaha RBX260F.. Any suggestions for 300 bucks and below?

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    el cheapo to have fun with.....

Ashbory

3. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    I got the ibanez GSR200 for 199.99 at guitar center; it has a nice slap sound to it and with the extra 100 you could upgrade something on it i'm sure maybe bridge

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you mean that Squier Precision Special 5 that I've raved about, check one out. I don't know if you'll like it as much as I do, but it has a VERY tight B for the money. Heck, a tighter B than lots of $1000 basses I've played.

They're $269 at GC. Of course, there are a lot of other basses under $300 too, check 'em all out. But do yourself a favor - play one of those Squiers.

5. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    i played soem cheapo brownsville the other day, but it was kinda cool, cause it was a little different than the norm. Epiphone EB-o's are cheap and kinda cool, and if you catch a sale at your local mega all encompasing guitar/music store you can get a fender jazz or precision.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Fender Jazz [MIM], MIM P-bass, Squier Bass [which ever model you want] Ashbory ashbory might run as high as 350-375 though thats all

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If you want a fun cheapo that's also good, get a Squier Affinity P-bass. it's a better sounding axe than the mexican Fenders. I can see myself picking one up eventually to lend to my guitar playin' roommate who just can't let go of my Pentabuzz (he's a nice guy, though);)

Will C.:cool:

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'll 2nd that on the Squier P bass. I had one and it was a great playing AND sounding bass. I wish I still had it...:(

9. I was checking the pawn shops the other day and picked up a Korean Squier Jazz because it was real cheap and the neck felt really good. Of course I know I'm gonna have to upgrade the pickups and bridge, but it rocks and will still be less than $300 total after all the upgrades.

Chris

10. hehe, how about rogue? that's cheap! =)

-Willz

11. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I've seen some Squier Jazz basses...better than the MIM's. I'd say that you made a good find...:)