1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fishing Lures

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Hi, i dont really fish but i ocasionally do. I live in the suburbs of chicago and the fish in the lakes around me are Bluegill, channel catfish, bass, crappie and sunfish . But i was wondering if any of you can recoment just an all around lure for these fish. When i go to the sports store, i dont even know where to start looking because there are so many. If there is a particular one you have had good luck with let me know.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    When the water is warm, you can't go wrong with a white jig, pink head and a flasher/spinner. Especially here in IL. Down south of you in Clinton Lake, it is one of the best lures for running coves and catching anything. I've even caught catfish on one. Other than that, a frog and spin of a medium to medium-small size is good. The key is in the spinner, and proper coloration of the lure. I have never had good luck with green jigs, but the frog and spins are green with a white belly, which makes them appear more natural.

3. for bluegill, sunfish and crappie, i have yet to find anything better than a worm on a hook with a bobber...of course fishing is very easy in northern wisconsin :)

4. Never can go wrong with a worm!! Or, as Pat McManus calls them, a No. 10 Pink Nightie.:D

Rock on
    Eric

5. For some reason this thread reminds me of a Strongbad email...

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  7. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    You wanna catch the big ones? I'll let you in on a little secret.

You gotta get yourself Banjo Minnow, and fish with either a Popeil Pocket Fisherman or better yet, an origional Ronco Fish Popper!

I pulled a 15' blue shark out of Lake Erie last summer with that setup. Lots of chum helped too.

Good Luck.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I have to agree with worms. You can catch most types of fish on a worm - I've had good luck catching all of the species you listed on worms. Just use a little hook for the crappy and bluegill with a 1/3 of a night crawler rigged on it - use a bigger hook for bass and rig the whole worm.

The Night Crawler is to fishing as the P bass is to Rock and Roll.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    As someone who knows a thing or two about catching fish, I would reccomend you start with a jighead and twister tail in either a 1/8 or 1/16 oz. A good color would be charteuse or pumpkinseed. Cast them out a retrieve them slowly with an occasional pause. That should get you started. If you really want to have fun this time of year learn to fly fish! Also the lighter line you fish the more strikes you'll get. I'd start with 6 lb. test mono

10. chartreuse is my magic color for catching fish...you cna't miss with chartruese...i don't believe i've ever tried pumpkinseed, but i don't really do a lot of experimenting with jigs...i usually just use a hook, worm and a bobber, or i will pull out the occasional rapala...those are another magic brand :) fish can't resist them!
    but i don't do much more than panfish, occasionally i will go out for musky or northern pikes, but i find more enjoyment out of panfish :)

11. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I find that lures work for the sport fishermen, but nightcrawlers and minnows are for the guys who want to catch fish and eat them.

When I lived in Illinois, Nightcrawlers were the way to catch most fish. Chicken livers work well for Catfish. I've heard of folks using corn, but it doesn't sound right to me.

Then when I moved to Colorado, where most places don't allow live bait, I missed being able to use a worm on a hook. I learned how to use Powerbait and ask folks what color things were biting on, but it didn't feel natural to me. Moral of the story is that, use live bait and don't take it for granted.

One of my favorite fishing experience in IL, was smelt fishing on Lake Michigan. It's not sport fishing, but a catch and eat fish type of atmosphere.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

People don't generally eat things out of Lake Michigan anymore. I don't blame them, either.

What everyone has said about worms is true, but remember he asked about lures, which technically could include anything to attract fish, but are generally referring to the synthetic kind. Worms and a bobber are great for catching bass if you know where to find them. A sinker and a big gob of worms on the bottom are great for catfish, but for cast and reel fishing, the white jig and spin or the frog and spin are great all around lures.