1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fishman BP-100 Installation

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rknea, Apr 29, 2019.

1. rknea

rknea Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Boise, ID
    I've fought the battle to get a good sound (not nasally or full of finger sound) out of my Fishman when it's installed on the bridge with the clips and couldn't get the sound I was looking for. After looking at the Realistic and others that were mounted under the bridge feet, I decided to experiment and put the BP-100 sensors under the feet as in the picture. Have to admit...the sound is amazing and full and much better than I anticipated. Has anyone else tried this?

I know the bridge feet aren't level and I plan on putting some cork under them to even them out...but as an initial experiment, I was quite surprised at the quality! IMG_4716.JPG

2. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    You're gonna damage the table. Not worth it to use that pick up. Try using a drop of super glue to adhere the pick up to the bridge rather than those heavy, muting clips. For $100 that Kna pick up Gollihur sells is pretty nice.

Vinny Vincenzo and rknea like this.
  3. You'll likely damage the piezo elements either.
    This solution is used on the KYDD electric upright though, where all the surfaces are flat.

rknea likes this.
  4. rknea

rknea Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Boise, ID
    Thanks guys! This was an experiment to see what kind of sound I'd get. I'm seriously leaning towards the David Gage Realist Copperhead.

s van order likes this.
  5. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I had decent results with paper clips.

6. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    If you’ve got an adjustable bridge the Gage Lifeline is excellent.

rknea and Michael Eisenman like this.
  7. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    Did you already try mounting the bp100 on the back side (tailpiece side) of the bridge instead of the fingerboard side? In my experience it is a much better location than on the front as the pickup is VERY sensitive to how it’s mounted and really needs a completely flat surface to get the best sound. How tight the clips are also makes a noticeable difference, as well as having a high impedance preamp to go with it.

8. birgebass

birgebass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    Fwiw I've seen guys mount the bp100 under the bridge feet and get a good sound. Not sure on what kind of damage it will cause, though. If you are worried about damage to the bass, the copperhead realist will leave an indentation in the top where the piezo disks are. I would try as others have suggested first. Also, I really like the Lifeline pickup.

9. The shiny side face each other and then use a wood shim, hard rubber or pick to get it in there tight. Completely changes the sound , no quack and less string noise, even OK bowed. Notice the rosin flakes :)
    IMG_20190502_112618.jpg

10. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Interesting. How do you think it would sound with an element in each bridge wing? Or is there not enough slack?

11. I tried that too. This was the best one for me so far. On this bass the PO glued it to the back. I tried the binder clip as well as the original clips. Someone here told about this method.

Inky13 likes this.
  12. rknea

rknea Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Boise, ID
    Well I took the BP-100 off and installed a new Copperhead and OH MY! I'm in love with the sound out of my Kay now!! It's AMAZING!!!

Max George and lurk like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021