1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fishman Full Circle Alternative?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by MattC99, May 16, 2018 at 5:07 PM.

1. MattC99

MattC99

Sep 1, 2017
    So, I have a Fishman Full Circle on my bass, and overall the tone works for me. However, I don’t get the response and output from the G string that I get from the lower strings. It’s not a register thing, because if I play what I would generally play on the G on the D instead, it sounds fine. Anyone Experienced this issue and have a solution? Or other pickups that sound similar or other good and still have that good even response? I’m playing EP Weichs, by the way.

2. bluefizz

bluefizz

Aug 8, 2008
    Los Angeles
    MTD, Bartolini Electronics, La Bella Strings
    I have the same problem.
    Tried a lifeline and it does not like my carved bass very much.
    I use Spirocore Weich with a Medium E and was thinking of switching out my G with a medium as well, or even an Evah weich.

3. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Try turning the adjuster with the piezo elements a quarter turn. That did the trick for me.

- Steve

4. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    How is the response when not amplified; that is, is your soundpost optimally placed?

5. bluefizz

bluefizz

Aug 8, 2008
    Los Angeles
    MTD, Bartolini Electronics, La Bella Strings
    It sounds good, not as sharpe and quick as I would want it to be, but good none the less.
    I was actually thinking of taking it in to have it looked at and possibly move the post a bit. Lisa at LA Bassworks is the one that set it up.

6. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    try the Yamahiko

Ric Vice likes this.
  7. MattC99

MattC99

Sep 1, 2017
    Tried this, I often go to the adjuster first if I’m in a particularly boomy room. Doesn’t help the balance issue though.

8. MattC99

MattC99

Sep 1, 2017
    Acoustically it’s just fine, sound post should be fine.

9. MattC99

MattC99

Sep 1, 2017
    Just checked it out, thing looks legit. When I was writing the post I was thinking to myself “if only I had a pickup in both adjusters!” However it seems out of the price range (college student here) and I would have no idea where to get one anyways.

10. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Maybe your fc isn't fit right. I have a fc on both my basses and I don't have string balance problems.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  11. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I've used the Full Circle on lots of basses and never had that issue. It does sound like it could be a set up issue, but then it should be happening acoustically, so it's an odd one.

12. Could be a lot of things:
    Bridge foot surface not plan or not parallel with the Full Circle
    Rotational orientation of the Full Circle not optimal
    Soundpost at a suboptimal position for a single element pickup

On my bass the soundpost was very close and maybe sitting rather strong, giving a hard sound acoustically but I needed a two element pickup for that 5-string instrument. After a luthier repositioned the soundpost the bowed sound got much better, the pizz lost a bit of its directness and punch and single element pickups worked after this has been done.

You can simulate what a soundpost repositioning can do by moving the bridge closer to the soundpost (or more away, but it seems that is not the direction you need for your instrument). That changes the vibrating string length, but not much and you can decide to leave it that way or see your luthier for a repositioning (and let him/her check the bridge foot for the Full Circle too).

Ric Vice likes this.
  13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    When you have the funds, you just order one directly from them and have a luthier install it, easy peasy. You can tet a single sensor Yamihiko, for @ $316.00, which would be the equivalent to your Fishman Full Circle. Actually, it would be like the your Full Circle made from Vibranium. :) :D ;) :thumbsup:

P.S. There is a story that says the Fishman Full Circle and the Yamahiko are long lost
    twins, one has a U.S. patten, while the other is an original design. :smug:

Earl likes this.
  14. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It's been my experience that the optimal setup for an acoustic sound is not the same as when you're plugging in and relying on a pickup. The tension/pressure that the FC is under can really alter the signal it puts out. I'm often giving EACH adjuster a bit of a turn before the start of a gig to find the sweet spot for amplification. I've also noticed that here in Texas, my adjusters tend to "stick" a bit. There will be a slight bit of resistance if they've been stationary for a while, and there's an audible click once that "seal" is broken that they have with the bridge itself-- we're talking very minimal effort required, but once the adjusters are "un-stuck" the electric response of the instrument improves.

15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    If your bass is acoustically even across the strings, it could also be your amp/speaker that's causing the dip.

Ric Vice likes this.
  16. MattC99

MattC99

Sep 1, 2017
    I had it was installed by a local shop (Hammond Ashley Violins in Washington) so, it should be installed correctly...

Ric Vice likes this.
  17. MattC99

MattC99

Sep 1, 2017
    It is odd, isn't it. It's the most notable when playing with other musicians so I will try tinkering with amp setting and see if that help, it could just be not cutting through very well.

18. MattC99

MattC99

Sep 1, 2017
    Thanks for your insights! I will investigate to see if any of these are causing my problem.

19. MattC99

MattC99

Sep 1, 2017
    Interesting... I'll play around with this.

20. MattC99

MattC99

Sep 1, 2017
    This I also suspect, I will tinker with the settings.