1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fishman or Upton Revolution?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by patricklamielle, Apr 1, 2009.

1. patricklamielle

patricklamielle

Apr 1, 2009
    Recently, I've been using an Upton Revolution Solo II on my laminate double bass, and have been relatively happy with it, but unfortunately, it does not belong to me, and I have to give it back. I did have a problem with feedback while playing larger venues with that pickup, and so I am considering the Fishman Full Circle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have used The Realist and Full Circle extensively and the Revolution Solo and Stat-B briefly.

The Full Circle is my personal favorite out of the bunch, though The Realist has it's merits.

One advantage that the Full Circle has over the other 3 (and most pickups) is that if you're already using adjusters, you don't interfere with the bass setup at all. The Realist does in a subtle way and sticking anything in the bridge wings does. Some more than others, I assume, but they are meant to vibrate and putting a pickup in there mutes them. I speak from experience of experimenting acoustically with a friend pulling them in and out while I played.

How big of a deal is that? I don't know, it's up to you, but I didn't like it. I also think that all bridge wing mounted pickups share a sound that is either a) what you're going for b) not what you're going for or c) you mix out with things like external preamps, which I prefer not to use.

Just my input. Everyone has opinions and preferences on pickups, there are certainly advocates of all of those pickups you mentioned and more.

EDIT: My luthier objected to the way the Full Circle mounted the input jack in the afterlengths and I agreed, so he zip-tied the jack to the tailpiece wire near the endpin.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Yes

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Patrick, welcome to TB.

If you search this forum, there is tons of info on both these pickups. Problem is, you can read all you want, but the best way to choose is to try them both on your bass if you can and then decide. It really varies on the bass, the bridge, the player, and their tastes and prefs.

FWIW, I do not have problems w/ feedback w/ my Rev Solo unless I am pinned really close to my amp. (There are many posts re: dealing w/ feedback in this forum too.) Sometimes just rotating the bass a little on the endpin or moving a foot this way or that w.r.t. the speaker can tame the feedback. I also know that IME getting the RS "fit" optimally in the wing slot for the best tone can in some cases take some time and effort. But I am happy with mine.

When you say "large venues," can you elaborate? Wedge monitors? Subwoofers? Rockabilly, bluegrass, or jazz? If you fill out your profile, that can sometimes help us try and help you.

Good luck! And make a good sound.

5. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I never had feedback problem with FC, no problem the volume or how close the amp.

6. philip sirois

philip sirois

May 29, 2006
    NYC
    i have used both for extended periods. The full circle comes our well ahead in my experience on my bass. Consistently good sound no matter what amp I use. I always seemed to be fussing with the the Rev solo.

7. HI
    I only have experience with a Shadow Rev solo and Full circle. For me the Full circle wins out. It produces a good loud sound without feedback problems. it needs no adjustment so you just plug and play.