1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fishman Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Avent Lane, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Avent Lane

Avent Lane Commercial User

Jun 13, 2020
    Been using this preamp (Fishman platinum pro bass) for years and years on Double Bass with a Realist Pickup. experimented with high end, low end preamps, extreme studio processing, not so extreme processing and finally settling down to this box. It meets all my needs even the compressor is as good or better than a lot studios that I have darkened. ( I think that's more of an operator issue though.) I use it on my electric also and in live performance I am always pleased, more than that, so is my employer.

Well, to make a long story short (which is hard for me to do) my Fishman is getting a little long in the tooth. Everything still works, a couple of pots are noisy but a little Deoxit fixes that, the case has been dropped numerous times and fractured, at little wine and Jack been dripped in it. I'm due for a change due to reliability issues and up grades available , and money's burning my pocket.
    So I've been looking at the new Platinum Pro-EQ Fishman is offering. What irritates me is not so much the price (and it does) why did they feel the need to "universalize this piece of equipment? My original was perfect. Is the the function / sound identical or have the changed it? Fixings things not broke is stupid in my opinion (example SM58s SM57s) If it is identical or better i will probable get it. I would appreciate anyone with experience with this product ,voice and opinion and advice. I'm a 72 old fart that you can tell something...but not much. Thanks for any info, I really like this forum.

Ric Vice likes this.
  2. Bruce Calin

Bruce Calin

Oct 15, 2002
    Hi, Avent Lane,
    As another geezer with a serious new-gear aversion, I have been happy with my original Fishman pro for I forget how many years. I've tried several others but for all-around functionality, reliability, and ease of use I keep going back to it. When I did need some TLC for it I took it to a local electronics whiz who cleaned up the inside and did some spec checks and it has been like new ever since. It's been a very useful piece of gear and one I wouldn't replace without a really good reason. I know others have quibbled with various features, settings, etc. but I personally have no complaints. It does what I want and I know it works. I borrowed the new model briefly to try it but went back to the old one. I didn't feel that the new one did anything better and I didn't have to relearn anything to do what I already had figured out on the old one.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Ric Vice likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021