Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass and EUBs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazzhacker, Oct 20, 2002.

1. I'm sure it's a great unit, but I already own several other pedals with related functionality: Tech 21 Bass Compactor, Dunlop MXR M-80 Bass D.I.+, Fulltone Fat-Boost, and a Boss GEB-7 Bass Equalizer (and a Digitech BP8, which I haven't used for some time).

But I have been playing an electric upright bass (EUB), which has piezo transducers, which ostensibly would benefit from any buffering and warmth added by the Fishman unit. However, my BSX Flip bass, a 34" scale EUB, already includes a Bartolini buffer/preamp with a 3-band EQ. (It currently is strung with Corelli flatwounds, BTW - another variable.) The BSX electronics do a good job, but the sound of the bass is not quite as close to an acoustic upright bass as I would like it to be. I have to do a lot of tweaking (I'm using the Bass Compactor by itself) to minimize the infamous piezo "quack," which isn't always necessarily bad, just not as authentically acoustic sounding as I would prefer.

Other complicating factors: I am new to EUBs and because mine only has a 34" scale, maybe I'm expecting more from it than it can actually deliver. And I have EQ at the bass, the pedals, the amp, and these naturally interact to some extent.

But I would like to hear what you folks think about this. Should I give the Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass a try, or would it be a waste of time?

One more thought: The Fishman unit includes circuitry to minimize feedback, which I associate more with acoustic basses. But my EUB is a little more feedback-prone than my electric basses, probably because of the piezos, so that is a consideration.

Any advice would be appreciated!