Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Folmeister, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just picked up one of these for my Martin acoustic, and I am curious if this has enough output to drive a power amp (CA9) on its own with any efficiency?

2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Nope. I used to try that with my upright setup. It would not drive my QSC PLX 1602. I ended up putting a Presonus TubePre in line between the Pro EQ and the power amp and I could drive it all day long.

Not the most elegant setup, but it worked for me for a while...

Jason

3. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    So how do you rate the PEQ Plat. Bass? Did it give you what you needed in terms of sound and features? What did you replace it with?

4. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Well, I've used the Pro EQ on 50 dates a year for the past 3 years with my Double Bass. I go straight into the house PA and it works fine for me. I've used the LR Baggs acoustic EQ (not DB specific) and I actually think I get a better sound out of it, but the combination of sound and features (depth, opto-comp) on the Fishman, is just a better swiss army knife for me from room to room. I like it. I'd be open to trying other stuff, but not enough to spend the money on it.

Jason

5. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Thanks, Jason!