Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fishman Pro Platium ... is it powerful enough as Preamp w /poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, May 25, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have read comments on TB that the fishman as a preamp isnt powerful enough.

I was thinking of buying a 600-1000w lightweight poweramp and using my Fishman as a preamp for up to and including medium size venues.

My limited understanding is that the poweramp provides the power (d'uh!) so why would there be an issue of the fishman not being powerful enough?

Thanks!

:)

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i dunno about that particular preamp but here goes. lots of "preamps" like the sadowsky, sans amp bddi, aguilar, the old fishman unit that looked like a sadowsky, etc. are essentially wired to be about the same output voltage as an onboard preamp you'd find in a bass guitar. they are designed to be used before a more proper "preamp" which has an output voltage suitable for driving the input of a poweramp.

you can use them as a standalone preamp in front of a poweramp, but as they dont have the output signal strength of a "real" preamp, the poweramp will never get anywhere as loud as it would with the correct input signal. also, on any of those units that use batteries (this goes for plugging your active bass straight into a poweramp as well) the life of those batteries will be shortened considerably.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Though I have no personal experience (youve got your grain of salt? or should I provide it?) Max Valentino and others say yes, IIRC.

Try the search. :)

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    if i used my fishman with an ac adapter instead of batteries would it increase the output enough?

also, if i used the Sansamp RBI which has a higher output level, would that be enough as a stand alone pre?

5. Just to point out alll recent sansamp BDDI's have a boosted/booster bit so it can be used as a standalone pre amp, you probably knew this tho

6. Isnt the RBI classed as a preamp anyway ?

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    yeah, but so is the fisman. it is called "pre" in its title. i dont know why they would that. marketing i guess.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i know this unorthodox but
    what about a little mixer?

aux sends output: +22db

:cool:

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not necesarily. they are all preamps as they all amplify the signal. It's just matter of to what extent.

as far as using the ac adaptor instead of batteries, no, that won't increase the output signal level. It will howvever save your batteries.

10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I sometimes use my Fishman to drive a crest vs-900 into a EA cxl-112. The fishman won't drive the crest to full volume, but it will drive it harder than the cxl-112 will take. Since the crest puts out 450 watts bridged into 8 ohms and the cxl is rated at 350, I assume that it is being driven acceptably if not fully. The output on my fishman is most definitely hotter than the onboard pre for either my Warwick or Spector. I imagine its output level is somewhere between instrument level and the level seen on most pre's.

I have a/b'd the fishman vs. a presonus tube pre from my studio. While I know the presonus isn't meant to drive a power amp (recording app pre) the fishman was very noticeably hotter.

If you are looking at low weight power amps, why not get a Focus SA? I beleive that their input is instrument level, so there would be no issues with pre output level. With that sort of power you might get away with keeping your Wizzy. Would make a very portable rig.

EDIT: Now that I think about it the Fishman may very well drive the crest to full power. I did a show where I let another bassist use this setup and I can recall watching the clip light on the crest light up every now and then. Fishman was set flat with compressor lightly on.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'd love to get a Focus, but they are just too expensive and hard to find used.

Now I am thinking of the sans amp bddi, which is basically a non rack version of the RBI, but without the mid control.

thoughts on this unit with a poweramp?

12. I meant in the way that its used frequently with just the RBI and a power amp

13. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I had one, and in my opinion...no.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    40 tunes in one night? Wow. I am lucky if i can learn 4 or 5 in a week.

Back on topic (sort of)...

What about using a mixer with a power amp and skipping the preamp? The output should definitely be hot enough. I have a little behringer mixer "eurorack ub1202" with + 22db output from the aux sends. I aluded to it earlier. :ninja:

would that work? would there be significant noise?

15. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I have a Fishman Pro EQ Platinum and I use it as a front end for my A.I. Focus SA (600 watts/4ohm) about half the time and my Sans Amp pedal the other half. The Fishman works well. Maybe not as loud as the Sans Amp in "line output" mode, but I am still super loud. This is on upright and my active/passive electrics.