1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fishman ProEQ Platinum preamp with Ehrlund EAP?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by john.duey, Feb 8, 2019.

1. john.duey

john.duey

Oct 22, 2015
    I would like to try my Fishman ProEQ Platinum preamp with my Ehrlund EAP. Is there any chance I could damage my EAP with the 48V phantom power if I connect to the house via XLR out? The Ehrlund preamp is fine but I want a little more EQ control that the Fishman gives me.

2. Very unlikely that the phantom power is passed to the input of the preamp.
    The Fishman preamps are designed to work with piezo pickups and piezos do not only generate voltage when deformed, but also deform if voltage is applied to them. So piezos should not receive phantom voltage. (Beyond a certain voltage they might get destroyed and 48 volts might be beyond that limit.)
    Phantom power is usually only passed to XLR connectors, in a few cases also to TRS jack, but that should be documented.
    As far as I know the phantom power is only used to power the preamp (no batteries needed) in case of the Fishman preamps, not to pass it to the input connector.

BTW, the Ehrlund EAP is piezo-based, even if the manufacturer states that it is not. The reason is that the piezo is a foil, not a crystal, which does not have some of the unpleasant characteristics of the piezo crystal. So the manufacturer doesn't want to get his pickup put in the same class as the crystal based piezos a lot of bass players dislike because of their previous experience with them.

okcrum, Groove Doctor and Ric Vice like this.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I’ve used the EAP with the Ehrlund Preamp, a Headway EDB-2, the Grace Felix and directly into a Walter Woods Electroacoustic Ultra. My only concern regarding the Fishman Platinum Pro would be what the input impedance of the box is. As I recall the Fishman boxes are 10 Meg Ohms to match them with the BP-100 and Full Circle. Goran Ehrlund set his preamp at 2 Meg Ohms. That said I’ve run the EAP at 10 and even 20 Meg Ohms.

4. john.duey

john.duey

Oct 22, 2015

5. john.duey

john.duey

Oct 22, 2015
    Thanks for the information. I went ahead and tried using my EAP w my Fishman preamp but after all sorts of tweaking the EQ on the Fishman, I have to admit the sound going through the Ehrlund preamp is IMHO better (cleaner, clearer).

6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I would have thought that might be true. The Ehrlund Preamp is optimized
    to the EAP. It’s plug and play with the pickup. I think what may be happening is that the EAP works better between 2.2 and 5 Meg Ohms. The 10 Meg Ohm load of the Fishman Platinum Pro may be to high.

john.duey and Keyser Soze like this.
  7. As far as I have read here the Fishman preamps make the sound less clear and clean in general, independent of the input impedance. Might be the EQ that degrades the sound quality.

8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Possibly,
    The original Fishman BP-100 was a “re-imagining” of the Underwood, so as to avoid any patient infringement. There was a preamp, avaliable from Fishman at the time, to help correct it’s inconsistencies. They have had one ever since. It was designed for their pickups and not the Ehrlund EAP. :)

9. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    Sorry.. but I'm a little confused about aour question, if you talk about this Fishman ProEQ...:p

As far as I know, there isn't any phantom power at the input...!?!? Tell me, if I'm wrong about..:) I'm always pleased to learn something new...:)

10. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

I have never advanced, chronologically or technologically, beyond my Fishman Pro Platinum preamp with my old school Realist. I've used it into several different amps -- I've also used those amps without it plenty of times, with only my FDeck II -- but have always been impressed and happy that I can quickly find settings on the Fishman to place my bass where it (and the Realist) sounds good and present in the mix.

We my all dream of MBOL but I gave up on that quite a while ago while playing in a jazz quartet with a drummer who regularly drank too much throughout the gig. He's a great guy and a great drummer but I had to match his "my drums only louder" trajectory throughout the night with decibels. IME, the Fishman PP, with its all kinds of knobs, faders and switches will always help find "tonight's sweet spot" quickly. I have never felt that I needed more than it offers.

11. john.duey

john.duey

Oct 22, 2015
    That is correct. Ric Vice already disabused me of that notion. I'm learning ... slowly.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  12. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    There are those are say that all you need do is set the input impedance at 10 Meg Ohm and you're golden. Both the FDeck and Fishman Pro Platinum pre are set at 10 Meg Ohms . Depending on the type of pickup you use, it can work guite well.

Since most players don't have the opportunity to change the input impedance, using a Headway EDB-2 or Grace Designs Felix, they would never know that their is a difference with some pickups, by setting them at around 5 Meg . Possibly,

the only thing that makes a big difference, is between 500 K and 1 Meg Ohm, but every pickup is different. The fact that most amplifiers are 1 Meg Ohm is really a nice feature in newer amplifiers. I'm really blessed that the drummers I regurlarly play

with have unleaded feet. So as long as you are at or above 1 Meg Ohm you're going to get a decent sound, unless your using a Fishman BP-100 which really benifits from 10 Meg Ohm. Being able to "tweak" the input impedance is something I've

found to be quite usefull.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  13. The impedance is in Ohms (resistance), not Hz (frequency), but otherwise is is correct.
    But I'm sure you already know that and is was just a mistake by accident.

Ric Vice and Zbysek like this.
  14. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Edited post, my internal hard drive had a giltch. :woot:

15. Time to replace it? ;)

Ric Vice likes this.
  16. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri