Fishman Vs Gage Realists..anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by LeftyFenderJazz, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Can anyone tell me if the Fishman, which appears quite similar to the Realist pickup David Gage makes, if I am correct, if it sounds just as good?
  2. Actually, In my opinion, they are as different as night and day. The Fishman mounts on the bridge right under the strings and produces a sound that is primarily from the strings and the wood in the bridge. The Realist, by mounting between the bridge and the top plate of the instrument, produces a sound that is primarily from the vibrations in the top of the instrument. It all comes down to what you want - string sound or wood sound.
  3. maybe i am wrong then..i thought they both were "under the bridge" piezo's
  4. Get the Underwood, it is the best of both worlds.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  6. Or the worst of both worlds;)
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I didn't want to say it, but I'm glad somebody did. :)
  8. I have the realist.Fantastic arco sound and useless pizz. Muddy and UNBALANCED.The A string is louder than the E.(I am playing a fine carved german 1930)

I have the fishman...

I have the crown mic that goes with it............

I have the Pierre Joseph.Very good in case of emergency.If you get a bad room and you need to play loud!!!

I have a balsereit. Very mid,not quite my cup of tea

I have the bass max. I am trying to convince myself that it is good after reading all the posts.Not for me
    To much bass, to bommy and again UNBALANCED A string louder than the E. My DB has a very good E string with a lot of sustain (Thomastick red).

After trying and talking with collegues I came to the conclusion that a PU is like the strings on a DB. Some will work on that bass but not on an other one.Of course personal taste also matters

I think that an amplified DB should have the same sound as when played acoustic.

the only way I can get pretty much that same sound
    is to use the Underwood .

Still interested to try a better PU though!!!
    any idea?

PS. I forgot to mention the super sensitive!!!
  9. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I've recommended the Schertler Stat-B for Realist users who weren't satisfied. Very balanced, good arco sound and not muddy on the pizz.

I use the Schertler Dyn-B electrodynamic contact mic, and while I love it, it isn't everyone's cup of tea. It sounds best through a PA, and it became infinitely easier to use when I bought a preamp that allowed me to cut the input and boost the output (ART Studio Tube MP).

I've tried just about everything else, and outside of a good mic, which I use in favorable conditions, I've not found anything better.

10. I'm sure we've been through this before, but let me offer this suggestion once again.

You can not assume that sticking any pickup on a bass is going to reproduce the sound (amplified) exactly the way it sounds when played acoustic. Many times a very small change in sound post position can make a big difference in the quality and balance coming through the pickup/amplifier. If you play through a pickup most of the time, you should have your post adjusted while listening to the sound that comes out the speaker - not just the bass.

At best, any pickup is going to be an approximation of the sound of your bass. All pickups capture the sound waves that are present at a particular spot or spots on your bass. The unamplified acoustic sound is the result of vibrations produced from the entire bass.