Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fit BadAss II to MIM Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassman_17, Feb 4, 2005.

1. bassman_17

bassman_17

Feb 2, 2005
    I wanted to fit a new bridge to my bass for a long time because I have no sustain and Ive heard that the BadAss II can really help boost the tone as well as sustain.
    Is this information correct, and should I do it?
    Cheers :hyper:

2. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I added one to my MIM. Did add to sustain. But more to weight. I did not notice any change in tone. Nice bridge if you can stand the weight.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you have no sustain, then you have issues other than the bridge.

4. Just for giggles, have you changed your strings? Maybe it's just me, but the bridge, unless it's connecting to the body from two points, really isn't going to suck a lot of tone away.

5. bassman_17

bassman_17

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks all
    I didnt mean no sustain litteraly, but it has poor sustain ne way

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just got my bass back from the shop after having my Badass II fitted. Big improvement, more sustain, I'd say it's richer harmonically, and only a bit heavier. Much more solid. Go for it!

7. I agree. I have a Jazz MIM and it has tones of sustain.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had a MIM Jazz and added a BAII, just like everyone else who posted above me. I agree there was a huge tonal change, in that the tone was much brighter afterwards. But, I thought the bass lost some of its warmth with the new bridge.

You might love the tone, if that's what you're going for.

9. Hi. I'm thinking of adding a BAII top my MIJ Jazz, and also maybe some hot-rod pickups. Question is, being a lefty, will I have to find left-handed pickups?

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Do you use a left-handed pencil?

Pickup coils are magnets with wires wrapped around 'em. They're not specifically low frequency wire on top and high frequency on bottom.

11. One piece of advise I can give from 1st hand experience is to predrill the holes for the BAII. The fender bridge screws are thinner than the BAII screws and I broke a couple trying to screw the BAII screws into the holes left when I removed the Fender bridge.

12. ALWAYS pre-drill your holes...if possible use a drill press and not freehand and set the depth stop, too. If using a hand drill, use masking tape around the drill bit for a stop guide line it up straight (look at it from different angles) and go slow!

I'm skeptical that a BAII bridge will add much of anything over the standard bridge (weight-wise, yeah it's a couple hundred grams, big whoop). When the bridge is attached to the body of the bass, they all vibrate as one system, so I cannot see really how a bridge could change your tone much more than a tiny bit.

The rest of the claims may be as much due to the fact, that by adding a new bridge, one has to go through a whole new setup on the instrument. It's this setup that improves the sustain, tone, and feel more than the bridge itsself. But of course, this is my opinion, and others can argue against it.

Finally, I LIKE BAII bridges, I have one on my P-bass copy parts bass...and I think it works very well.

13. I think I understand the mechanism to lay claim to the "more sustain" thought. I replaced the stock bridge on my Jazz simply because one of the saddle height screws came out and was lost. After the bridge was replaced I didn't hear a bit of difference, either acoustically or unplugged. HOWEVER, a bridge that uses a 2 point system- like say, the early 70's Gibson tune-o-matic with nylon saddles... that's making a difference. In that case, the bridge is suspended from the body and attached with 2 metal studs. The current Thunderbird bridge is similar, but with 3 studs and metal saddles. In either case, the bridge is only coupled with the body by it's attachment points- the studs. The BA has, what, 5 screws and the body of the bridge is in tight contact with the body of the bass. The extra mass and the added size of the footprint shouldn't make such a phenomenal difference in tone.

That being said, the Badass is a great bridge, just not that much greater than a stock Fender style bridge.