1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fitness expert...... quick question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Nov 5, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'll keep this as short as possible.

The short version is...........
    What is a realistic goal for length of time to lose 5" around my waist? I want the goal to be tough but realistic.

Long(er) version.

I'm not fat but I need to get in shape more. I am in the camp of weight loss isn't as important as shaping up. I've been told that muscle weighs more than fat so if you grow muscle while losing fat it will tend to frustrate you if weight is the number you are keeping up with.

I am a very goal oriented person. If I set a goal, I will hit it. So, I would like to break my goal down into months and weeks.

So let's say you guys say that 5 months is realistic to lose 5". That's 20(ish) weeks. I will divide 5" by 20 and measure every week. (Which comes out to 1/4" a week.)

With that in mind, I have no idea how long it should take if I am eating right and working out/exercising. Yes, I realize there are endless variables like HOW I am working out and what my definition of "eating right" is. Trust me when I say I am going for it.

Again, I would like my goal to be attainable, but on the hard side. I work best when being pushed.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. This is going to SUCK during the holiday season. But if I don't do something I will be buying new pants by January!

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Instead of inches, tell me how many pounds you want to lose :)

3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! OK fine. 25lbs?

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I don't really build muscle, but I purposefully gain and lose weight over the year. Eating is the most important part, and by that I mean you need to eat less than you use. It is normal to be hungry if you want to burn fat. Low-level cardio for a long time seems to work best for simply burning fat.

EDIT: Depending on activity level (which really amounts to time) 25lbs is very doable in 5 months. A little more than a pound a week. I'm on track for losing 20lb in 1.5 months, which probably isn't good advice, but it works for me so whatever. I imagine you have more responsibilities than me as well.

5. Most people can healthily lose about 2 lbs a week (major generalisation), you could drop that in about 3 months fairly easily.

Inches around the waist depends on the person's height, distribution of body fat and the level of body fat (dropping from 36 to 35 inches around the waist will be a greater drop in body fat than a drop from 35 to 34 on the same person).

Seeing you don't need to lose that much really, you should just look into a healthy diet plan and get into the gym.

I really need to get back to the gym, ugh :-/

6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I just started yesterday and I have been quite hungry a lot. I have been doing the "eat more smaller meals rather than less big meals" thing too. It really does seem to charge your metabolism quite a bit.

I plan on alternating cardio and resistance training of all kinds. Although I will at least run or bike a bit each day (either outside or in the gym).

Thanks for "weighing in". (Ha! Weight loss joke. Get it?) :rolleyes:

7. Raising your muscle mass will raise your resting metabolic rate. This allows you to burn more fat at rest, as well as burning more fat during cardio workouts. I recommend a combination of cardio and strength training for maximum results.

And say goodbye to soda ;)

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Noted. Thank you!

That's kind of what I was thinking. And that's why I wanted to try to avoid a goal of weight loss rather than inches around the middle. I feel as though I will gain inches everywhere else and lose in the middle.

Yep, all water all the time for a while. I may take down some skim milk but for the most part all H2O.

9. I went from a very close to a 46 to a 40 in about 4 months and that was taking week or 2 week long breaks at a time, sometimes not putting in all 3 cardio days I'd given myself and no special dieting. So with dedication you could probably pull it off in 3 or less.

10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Congrats! And thanks!

11. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Sweet :D

It depends on a few factors, such as how much you work out now, how physical you are throughout your day, and what your daily diet consists of. Fortunately, the key to weight loss isn't rocket science and can be boiled down to:

How many calories you consume vs. How many calories you burn (in a day)

That's it, and it doesn't need to be any more complex than that. There's no secret formula or workout routine that can ignore this rule if you're wanting to shed pounds. As to how long it will take, that's entirely up to you and how dedicated you are to doing what's required of you.

Here are some very basic tips and tricks I can give you. Keep in mind that these are general tips and not all of them should be taken to the nth degree. You really need to read up on this stuff on your own:

1. Don't drink anything other than water. Alcohol, soda, and anything else that's sweetened needs to go right away.

2. Learn to count calories and read nutrition labels. It's not fun, but you need to monitor your intake of calories, protein, fat, sugar, and carbohydrates. You need to know how much you're consuming now on average and how much you actually should be. Not only that, you need to understand that not all calories are created equal. A diet of red meat, white pasta, and cake isn't as good for you as one built on veggies, lean meats, healthy fats, and whole grains, even if it still falls within your consumption range.

Read through this guy's website. It's full of some really amazing info when it comes to this stuff, and there's also a lot of great workout info:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/

3. Get at least 20-30 minutes of cardio each day. This means you have to get your heart rate up. Fortunately, how you do that is up to you. You can run, bike, swim (though I wouldn't recommend that now :D), jump rope, do jumping jacks, or anything else that gets your heart beating faster. Again, this needs to be every day!

4. Hit the gym and workout at least 3 days a week. I'd highly recommend going at least 5 days a week, but 3 will do it. Learn how to workout differently muscle groups and then learn how to create a workout routine that you like and that addresses each group at least once a week. This means you need to hit your chest, arms, shoulders, core, back, and legs within the days that you workout. Again, I recommend 5 days a week for this exact reason.

5. Get some sleep. Not only will you feel better and more alert in your mornings, but you'll have more energy and will recover from your workouts quicker.

6. Stay consistent. This is probably the greatest challenge for most people and it is often the greatest source of failure. Being in shape and healthy is a lifestyle that doesn't end. You need to eat healthy not just a day or two a week but each and every day. You only get 2-3 meals a week in which you can order a burger and fries. Even then, you should only get a single patty, and instead of fries you should get a baked potato.

In addition, you can't go to the gym for a couple weeks, then take a whole week off, then go back for a couple days, then be off for a week, then go two weeks straight, etc... and see results. Your body needs the consistency of getting to the gym and feeling that muscle burn. It'll help you grow stronger faster and shed pounds quicker.

If you can follow these few tips then you can start seeing drastic results immediately (upwards of 4-5lbs in the first week), and so long as you stay consistent you can probably lose the full 25lbs in about 2-3 months (depending, again, on consistency and where your body currently is). Let me tell ya, it's not going to be easy, but if you can keep it going for at least 3 weeks straight you'll find yourself completely changing. Old foods and drinks will lose their appeal, and missing a gym day will make you feel like crap and will inspire you to get your exercise in somehow.

Good luck :)

12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    ^^^^^ Hey thanks!^^^^^ Lots of good info.

Edit to add: Just checked out that link. Scoob just gives you all the tools, doesn't he?

13. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I don't care what anyone tells you, weight loss is about diet. You can do all the weightlifting and cardio in the world and if you eat like crap, you will get fat.

14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Agreed. I'm on it.

15. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    This x 100.

But eating less than you need with long cardio is where it really starts to work. By doing light cardio you don't need the immediate energy, so you are more likely to break down and burn fat.

16. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Not really true, if you get catabolic and do tons of cardio, your body can actually burn muscle tissue as fuel because storing fat is your body's process when you are starving. The biggest loser really shot this idea into the mainstream and has probably caused people to be fatter in this country. When people see people losing 20+ lbs on TV every week, it becomes harder for them to stay on track when they "are only losing" 2-3 lbs a week. Someone stated earlier that the best way to burn fat is to build muscle. That is the correct answer. We call the people who do tons of cardio and have no muscle "skinny fat" because when they gain the weight back, it will all be fat.

17. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I did not say to starve oneself. Catabolic processes include burning of adipose tissue, although I am not sure of the differing processes and what they result from. In my experience (completely unqualified of course) building muscle and burning fat are completely different things. Of course, I am 6'1" and at 4% body fat I weighed ~150lb so I probably fall under what you would call skinny fat. I had no need for more muscle. Granted I would not try to stay at such a low weight for long periods of time.

18. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    4% sounds pretty dangerous. A guy shouldn't be going under 7-8% unless they're a body builder about to do a competition.

19. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Some people can maintain super low body fat %s, but 6'1", and 150 is pretty thin. I am 6'1" and generally sit around 225-230lbs, but have been up around 250 when I was still competing in weightlifting. Granted, I am much larger than the average person, and I carried a lot more than 7-8% body fat, but I was still extremely healthy.

OP, one thing I would point out is that a reduction in salt intake will cause an initial decrease in body weight. You might lose 5 or 7 lbs right away and weight loss will slow, don't get discouraged, it will work as long as you are consistent.

20. Like lowendmafia said, that's just how it is for some folks. My buddy hovers around 5% and he's been that way his entire life without really having to try. He was an athlete through high school and now he works out infrequently and it's just stayed the same. I'm gripe at him for his ability to just not gain fat and he gripes at me for the exact opposite lol.