Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fitness guys, jogging or walking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Okay, so I am thinking about getting my big ass in shape, at least better than I am. I've read mixed things on jogging vs. walking. Some say walking is better. I realize that 15 minutes of jogging will be much better than 15 minutes of walking. If you would do it in terms of distance, instead of time, would they work out to be about the same?

I threw on my walkman, and a pocket full of CD's, and went on a 2 hour walk tonight. My legs ache, so I know it did something, just wondering how much.

2. Hnnm I have read that jogging might kill your knees too! So the best way to jog is actually not to lift your legs so high up, its just like walking faster! :)

Well, I think it depends on ur goals, if its to loose fat, or for cardiovascular exercise, it doesn't matters if your legs ache or not. If for building up your legs muscle, its quite a well known fact among bodybuilders a worked out muscle does not need to be sore.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    AFAIK it's recommended to do at least 90 minutes of activity (jogging) @ 65-70% of your maximum heart frequency (Hf max - rule of thumb: 220-age).
    The best results I think are achieved in the morning with an empty stomach.
    You need to do more than 90 minutes, because you "run" on your carb metabolism at first, and it gradually changes to fat the longer you exercise.

You should do it at least twice a week for 4 to 6 weeks.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I hope you're talking about the Stairmaster.
    Running real stairs, like in the gymnasium, is a killer...especially on the knees!
    ;)

Stairmaster vs. Bike vs. Treadmill
    FME-
    The Stairmaster gives the 'harder' workout...i.e. more sweat(I used to leave a pool for the bunnies & poseurs at the Spa; dammit, this is a gym not some meat-market!)

The Bike comes in 2nd, especially on a 'hill program'. I noticed my legs got more built with the bike.

Treadmill, my current cardio-choice...I do a fast walk(4.5-5.0) on an incline(15.0) for 30 minutes. It's a piece of cake now; I can't really increase the speed(I would be running) & the incline's max is 15. I am not going to increase my time...I hate people that think they 'own' the gym's equipment(those that bogart a machine for an hour or so. These folks need to buy their own stuff!).
    I have noticed my "Calories" burned usually equals more than the clod racing next to me on a "0" incline(same time period).

To your question(finally)-
    If you're just beginning, I would stick with the brisk walk vs. jogging.
    ...and get a decent pair of shoes!
    ;)

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    there's a great book in every barnes and noble for $20 called "banish your belly". has tons of informative info on running, swimming, walking, eating right, working out. from what i understand,walking won't really do much for losing weight. unless of course you spend half your waking life doing it. running before breakfast got rid of a spare tire i had that i was convinced was genetic. when i lost the fat i'd run 20 minutes away from home (to the shore), rest and stretch, then run home (and stretch again). took me a couple of months to get there though - started at about 5 minutes both ways.

running on an empty stomach is hard to do but i really think it's the best way to burn lots of fat. once in shape i'v learned however that if i keep doing it, i burn muscle - not what i want to do. i've got to also admit that i've cheated a lot with the morning runs, but it really worked. xenadrine or stackers gave me the energy to run on empty. i only took a half a capsule though (DO NOT TAKE 2 AS THE LABELS I THINK RECOMMEND!!!!!!!), and after a while went up to one capsule. those things pack a severe punch - but they work. kind of like drinking coffee before the run - but coffee gave me jitters and messed with my stomach.

good luck.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As others have said - the thing about jogging is that while it will burn more calories, it is high impact and can have a negative effect, especially if you are heavy - which I am implying from your post? ;)

So - you are putting a lot of strain on your knees, ankles and could damage things like hamstrings as well, if you are not stretching properly and warming up and down. It can also jar your back - I was advised not to do jogging when I was trying to recover from a bad back inury and was recommended the stair machines which are very low impact.

So - you can get knee injuries, damage joints, hip problems and back problems - especially if unsupervised!!

Walking is good for your heart and blood pressure - I was recommended to do half an hour to an hour each day for slightly high blood pressure and it's not going to do you any harm - so why not!!??

Then, if you want to lose more weight - go to a fitness centre when you can, under supervision.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you're going to join a gym then join one that has an elliptical machine. While I enjoy jogging and that's what I do, you can get the same benefits plus a bit more muscle workout from an elliptical machine but without the stress on the knees. It's less impact on your knees than jogging or stairs but if you give it the effort it has just as much cardio benefit. One added benefit is that you can do it forwards and then backwards to work out your hams and quads both in the same workout as you get the cardio benefit the whole time.

brad cook

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The biggest difference between walking and jogging is the cardivascular benefit, and risk of impact injuries to various parts of your body - ie almst every joint!

Walking 1 mile and running/jogging the same mile burn exactly the same amount of calories!

However, your body becomes more efficient like JMX said by having your heart rate at about the 70% of max zone, this helps it improve it's stength!

I guess when you are staring out, do what you can do! Warm up and strecth off the muscle groups that you are going to be exercising. Ease yourself into jogging......when you get tired out either stop wamr down and stretch or, if you have a circuit you want to complete, walk whilst catching your breath, if you feel like running a bit more after a while, then run some more.....repat until circuit complete, then warm down and strecth off again!

I started about 8 months ago, my circuit is about 1.7 miles. At first I could run about 1/2 of it, with several 'walks' in that time. I have gradually worked it up to 3 full laps running (5.1 miles). Not great by serious runner's standards - but good enough for me (I have mild asthma, which has been helped a lot by the running. I'm working on keeping it consistent - 3 or 4 runs a week for 5 miles. My fitness, blood pressure and feeling of general well being is improving. My weight is also reducing (the exercise coupled with a calorie watching diet)slowly but surely......and hopefully my lifestyle will help to keep it off! :)

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Nordic Walking. Also works out your upper body.

Ask the german, it's the latest craze there! Of course as a finn I've been following the sport quite a while, and while it might look bit odd, it gives you 50% more workout than plain walking.

Here's an inlook into the matter: http://www.nordicwalker.net/research01.htm

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If that's true then it only applies while you are doing the activity. If you run rather than walk your body will continue to burn calories for 8 to 24 hours after your exercise session. This is not the case with walking, where your body only burns the calories during the exercise session.

brad cook

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Jump rope. It's cheap, easy, and effective. It's not hard on your knees and ankles like jogging or running (my ankles can't take much running) and walking just isn't strenuous enough to give you much of a workout. Jumping rope can be a serious workout! If you're not in great shape then ten continuous minutes of jumping rope will probably make you pour sweat, turn red and huff & puff. I used to look at jumping rope as something that little girls did on playgrounds - until I added it to my workout routine. Now I look at it as something that prize fighters do as part of their training. It doesn't cost much money, doesn't take much time or space. It's intense, yet low impact. I highly recommend it.

12. Forget jumping rope, after about 100 4-count jumping jacks you're pretty well worn, and you won't be tripping over a rope.

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

To move a mass a fixed distance requires the same amount of energy (work done). To move it quickly requires more power, but ultimately you have done the same amount of work.

I'm interested to know how your body burns calories while not doing work - the 8 to 24 hours after the activity you speak of.

Other than the fact that all bodies burn calories to remain warm and to replace cells....

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Joe-
    ...I dunno. You would have to be about 1% Body Fat before 'burning muscle'.
    That's why some Marathon runners look near-death as they finish their race; at that point, they are close to 'burning muscle' since they have very little fat left.
    ;)

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...would that be measured in Joules or Watts?
    ;)

I have always heard(& I just heard it again this weekend...somewhere on TV)- ;)
    A body "in shape"(low fat/more muscle) has a metabolism that burns calories 'at rest'.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...that sounds like you need about 3-4 feet of snow.

17. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

work done - joules (or kilo calories as we know them!) Power is watts (joules per second! ;) )

All human bodies burn calories at rest.....that's why even is you just do the couch potato you can burn up about 2000 calories a day (depending on lean mass!)

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Right...it's the lean mass variable.
    I think that's what Brad may be gettin' at...a 'runner' tends to be a leaner person & will therefore burn more at rest/sleep.
    ;)

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm not speaking of the normal metabolic calorie burning that your body does. I'm talking about excess post-exercise oxygen consumption.

I found these links with a quick google search:

http://www.adventuresportsonline.com/afterburn.htm

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0846/8_21/83911021/p1/article.jhtml

Your body burns more calories if you run for 30 minutes than if you walk for 30 minutes. For one thing running causes your heart rate to increase more than walking does. I guess it would use the same amount of calories to walk the same distance but generally exercise recommendations come in time periods rather than distance. It's generally recommended that you get 25 to 30 minutes of cardio at a time 3 to 4 times per week (whether that be walking, running whatever). Running will burn more calories in that time. If I run say, 6 miles in 50 minutes I would burn more calories than if I walked for 50 minutes, but for most people it's just not practical to walk 6 miles regularly and continuously as it would take around 2 hours. Walking is great if you're doing nothing else and are fairly out of shape but for someone who's already in fairly good shape, you aren't going to see much in the way of increased health benefits from walking.

brad cook

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Actually increased muscle mass is what will increase metabolism. One might not necessarily get that from running but lifting weights regularly will speed up metabolism. I even read once that running regularly will slow down your metabolism because your body compensates for all the quick burning of calories.

brad cook