Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fitness Magazines

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 30, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    When I start beginning threads like this it means I'm really avoiding something, in today's case - it's avoiding going to the gym, so this is appropriate.

Anyone here read any fitness magazines? They're all the same after you read 2 of them. A lot of B.S., talk about the new kind of situp that we've all been doing for 20 years... creatine and xenadrine ads... pictures... prostate lectures... tips on picking up girls and sex lessons for the creativly challenged... all so ho hum...

But I gotta go buy one cuz for some dumb reason they motivate me. I only like Muscle Media and Men's Health. I'm more in a Men's Health phase of fitness right now so I think I'm gonna get me one of them.

The beaches are open - we all must look our finest now, because in the end we know that's all that really matters now, isn't it?

2. To get ready for the beach I eat nothing but eggs and a gallon of lard.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Mmmmmm. Laaaaaaaaaaaaard.

Do you just spoon it in, or do you melt it and drink it?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I only read fitness mags for the pictures.

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Men's Health is the only one worth reading in my experience.

There is so much info online(www.askmen.com and www.menshealth.com) for men's fitness I see less reason to buy a mag these days.

I agree with you SMASH. :)

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I love chocolate chip ice cream, posting stuff on TalkBass and watching lots of TV. Once in a while I play tennis with the wife, and every now and then, we go out to dinner.

I even have the obligatory six pack. I'm waitin' for it to get cold in the fridge.

Yeah Men's Fitness mags take about 3 or 4 and they've run their course as far as the techniques go. But they never seem to run out of celebrities.

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I get men's health in the mail but overall it's a bit of a silly magazine. Though I do weight train. Being "not fat" and being in shape are two totally different things.

8. Yeah, mens health etc get fairly repetetive - they often contradict themselves too.

I guess the idea of getting them monthly is to keep you focussed and motivated. Other than that, you would only need 2 or 3 issues to have all the tools you need.