Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fittin a Warwick?????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joseph Sheldon, Jan 9, 2004.

1. If there is a thread on this already and probably is I couldn't seem to find it. Anyway Ive been spending alot of money and not been very succesful finding a great pair of nickle wound 5 strings that will fit my Warwick without me having to do anything stupid to my bass. I have Elixers on now, sound is just O.K. to me.And the E dosn't fit into the tailpiece very well and were costly. It seems taper wound can mean different things to differnt companies? What do you use that fit properly on a Warwick 5 string and sound bright and snappy are nickle wound and are not to hard to find or obscure. I did have a pair of Markly 2000's I think they were called. They had no volume compaired to other strings and the A string was dead! right out of the box. I like XL and slow wounds but there are too much silk winding on the slow wounds and I can't find a tappered set of XL's.

2. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I had a similar problem with my old thumb 5. The B string (non tapered) does nto fit int he tailpiece. I had to file down the tail piece to get it to fit.

Looking back...I should have just searched for a tapered B. I dont recommend filing the tailpiece.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    just jam it in there with a screwdriver :)

works great for me, even with a .125 non tapered B

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Smith Burners are pretty good, and I believe that they have them in the taporcores as well. Believe it or not, I've had very good luck with Carvin Nickel's which have tapored cores as well. I believe that Labella makes those strings, and for the money, you can't beat them.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    When I had my Thumb 5 I used SIT taperwounds or carvin taperwound. Both fit the bridge on the low B and E.

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I used to use Warwick's own Black and Yellow label strings, I think the Yellow labels were nickel and they always sounded great in my Sreamer.

7. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    I use the Diadario Slowounds on my Warwick 5 - I just cut a little of the silk off and they fit like a charm - I also love these strings!

8. When you cut the silk off the slow wounds does it continue to frey and unwrap and what do you use to cut it off, a razor?? I always loved slow wounds and would love to be able to use them.:bassist:

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If I remember right, there were some tips on the Warwick site about this.

Anyway, who cares if you get the whole silk wrapping off of the string? the original set (Warwick strings) had no wrapping, either, so it wont be anything new for your bass.

I wish that my strings had no wrapping - Thomastik-Infeld Powerbass 6 comes in purple wrapping... :eek: :spit: i wonder why are they not using pink yet...:rolleyes:
    But i use SS so im out

10. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    I just cut them off with a stanely knife. Yes they do frey but if that worried you i suppose you could glue it back on - it is only one continuous thread. On the bridge end - for some reason the E string never fits properly so I remove the blue silk completely only for that string.

Heres a picky (sorry for the quality) - these have been on for about 4 months.