Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fitting a J-Bass neck on a P-Bass body???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by OmegaZ27, Sep 18, 2005.

1. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    Is it possible to bolt on a J-Bass neck to a P-Bass body? I'm looking at a J neck because the J neck feels a little more comfortable at the neck. Plus, I like the P Bass body style better. So I'm just wondering, is it possible?

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    it's 110% possible, provided the neck heel and other dimensions are the same. Even then, you can do some drilling, etc. and make it fit.

3. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    you mean something like this?

[​IMG]

R

4. Hey that bass is missing hardware, strings, electronics and pickups...it will never work that way...you'd better send it over here, and I'll have a look at it for you. :D

A Geddy Pee...I like it :)

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Not always. A 22 fret Fender neck will not work on a "20 fret" Fender body. It will physically fit, but you will not be able to intonate it.

6. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I was aware that some Fenders have more than 20 Frets. I'm planning on buying a Mighty Mite J Bass neck for a Custom Fender P-Bass.

But what would you guys recommend? Maple or Rosewood Fingerboard? I'm going to paint the body a Dark Black Cherry Metallic with a White or Black Pickguard. Any suggestions?

Something sort of like this color from Warmoth
    [​IMG]

7. IMO, don't choose between rosewood and maple by what they'll look like... go by feel and sound, this after all is what your fingers are gonna be resting on. :)
    (rosewood)

8. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    I love Maple because the bright mids and Trebs, but I like the darker look for the neck. I'm assuming the brighter sound comes from the Density of the wood? Where would I find a dense fingerboard wood that has a darker finish?

9. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    Actually, the image is a few weeks out of date. It currently has a clover leaf style Ultralite de-tuner installed on the E-string, threaded inserts installed in the neck for the neck/body screws, and copper foil sheilding in all of the cavities.

When my order comes in, I will also be installing:

* Nordstrand NP-4
    * 500K volume, 250K tone, .047uf cap, star grounding
    * Dark silver pearloid scratch plate
    * Dunlop straplocks
    * Clover leaf style Hipshot Ultralites
    * Chrome hardware
    * D'Addario Chrome Flats

I hope to have this passive tone monster ready to roll by the end of Oct ... but this could be delayed due to several other bass projects I have in the works right now.

R

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Ebony = my favorite fingerboard wood. :hyper:

11. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    You don't mention what the body wood will be. Will this be an Alder or Ash body? From there then, what kind of sound are you looking for - bright and in your face, or a more classic grindy growl?

IMO - a maple/maple neck on an ash body would be painfully bright if you're not Marcus and into slapping. It's relatively easy to add a frequency bump, but difficult to eq it out.

An Alder body will have a more neutral, grindy tone that works equally well with a maple/maple, maple/rosewood, and maple/ebony neck. Alder is also my personal preference for P-style basses due to the ability to get that awsome grind. A P-bass does one thing, so make that one thing the best it can be.

As for the neck, the decision again is what you're looking for in the tone - tight and focused or more rounded and full. In order from tight/focused to round/full: maple/maple -> maple/ebony -> maple/rosewood

I prefer a maple/rosewood (maple/pau ferro is even better) of the three choices, but any of the three work well. The majority of the neck tone comes from the neck itself, and the fingerboard is like the detailing on the cake.

R

12. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Woods aside, I say with the dk. cherry paint, do a maple/maple neck with either a white or ANTIQUE white pickguard, depending on how dark this cherry color is.

13. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    completed Geddy P

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the Raven Labs PBR-1 really rocks! It's just missing a string tee on the headstock. The pick guard still has the plastic cover on it, so it looks a little dull

All the best,

R

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Good job, dude!

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
  16. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    String trees are over-rated. Seriously, I don't like them. Just look at some pictures of my basses. What's missing from all of them? The string tree.