1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fitting a Realist pu

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by heymrbassman, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Hi
    I have just bought a David Gauge Realist pickup and fitted it as instructed. The sound is as expected and needs some getting used to as I am a long term Underwood/Shadow user.

My problem is the E & A strings seem noticably choked compared to the D & G strings which sound much better and open. The E&A lack volume also.

I would appreciate some tips on how best to fit this pu to get the best sound. I followed the instructions and fitted it under the E side of the bridge. I am prepared to give this pu a chance having heard plenty of players using it successfully

Appologies if this information is elsewhere on this forum. Just point me in the right direction so I can get playing with it at gigs.

mucho thanks
    Adrian

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Adrian,
    Well, I'm using a Realist that I recently installed just the way you
    descibed and IMHO, it sounds great. If its not sounding great, I would check to see that the foot of the bridge is setting right in the center of the Realist. It's like "centering" a rectangle (the bridge foot) within another rectangle (the Realist). Other than that, you might wan't to check our collective post on "The Lifespan of a Realist". Be sure and sent in the Warranty Slip that you got with the pickup. That, at least coveres you for a year if you have problems. The collective wisdom around here feels that the pickup probably sounds better on a carved instrument.

Ric

PS: Sorry I can't be more helpful

3. thanks for advice, I'll reposition it to see if it helps and read that thread

I have been using the Shadow pu today with the Realist in place but not plugged in and the whole sound of the bass has changed!

I am sure it makes a big difference to the way the bass resonates when you put lumps of metal under the bridge (or anywhere else for that matter)