1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'fitting' covers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eddododo, Mar 22, 2013.

1. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I recently [del]bought[/del] SCORED some nordstrand jazz 70's-wound pickups :hyper:

They have a custom cover with no polepieces showing; the bobbins are loose, and not 'set' into the covers... how do I go about doing that?

just to try them out briefly, I just put a little fabric around the sides of the bobbin, and just slid it in there..
    What do yall suggest to fit them into the covers? I'd rather not permanently epoxy them in there, as I could easily see myself leaning towards exposing the polepieces of these badboys.

Thanks,
    Ed

ps. please don't tell me to google or use the search.
    The fact that I have done research doesn't mean I am not interested in asking basic questions to start MY OWN conversation :)

2. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    If the pickups are supported by foam, then that will hold the pickup bobbins in the cover.

If there is no foam, and the adjusment screws use springs or plastic tubing, you can add
    foam to support the bobbins. Foam is normally used in the absence of springs or tubing.

If you add foam, you normally don't need the springs (or tubing).