Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fitting DVD to one disc

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Nov 18, 2005.

1. OK well I'm a movie collector... And while I was away for awhile my family and some of my friends borrowed some of my movies.... cool with me.... Problem is I got some of them back scratched. Not cool.... My Pink Panther Series, Holy Grail, and other non classic titles like Gangs of New York. I'm a little anal about my collection staying mint so I tried to burn a DVD my little brother wanted to borrow, and for my "personal use". I went out and bought both -R and +R DVD's. Copied it and tried to burn it but it wouldnt fit on one DVD. Is there a program I can buy or free download that will fit my DVD's on one disc so I can watch them without having to be super careful?

Note: I am not trying to steal. Just protect. Can anyone help me?

2. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Use a program called DVD Shrink. It's free software, but the official site no longer hosts the file anymore for legal reasons. Just do a little searching around for it and you'll find plenty of sites with copies. The last stable release was version 3.2.0.15, so look for that one.

Just remember that you'll lose some quality with compressing the size down to fit a standard 4.7GB disc, but you can also delete things like special features so you have more space.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you have a dual layer burner, you can do a direct backup for archival purposes, which is perfectly legal. I do this witha lot of my CD's I would rather not use the original of. I always use a copy, so that if it gets destroyed, I can always burn another copy, and throw away the damaged one./

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I use MacTheRipper to copy and then Popcorn to burn and compress if need be - works like a charm.

5. DVD Shrink is a good tool. I choose the option to Reauthor the disk, then leave out menu systems, extras etc. You can get very reasonable quality that way. I did exactly the same when I travelled to the US recently and took copies of some of my favourite films to watch while on business.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I use DVD Shrink and DVD decrypter. I've never had a problem.

DVD Decrypter comes in handy ripping VOB files to put movies on my PSP memory card, too. It's fun watching movies on the bus commute to work. :hyper:

Dual layer discs are great, but they are still way too expensive. I've never had a problem with image quality when fitting a movie to a 4.7 GB DVD using DVD Shrink. Just make sure you use the smoothing and analysis abilities. It takes longer, but the results are worth it--it's not like you have to turn a hand crank, so what's another hour of processing time? :D