Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fitting MM pup on Squier P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassman040, Feb 5, 2006.

1. I'm thinking about fitting a Seymour Duncan MM pup into my old Squier Bullet Bass to replace the P pickups. I know it involves hacking out some wood out of the body. I wouldn't worry about electronics yet since I'll be keeping it passive for the time being and use my Sansamp as a preamp. Anyway, what do you guys think? Anybody think I should do it or shouldn't?
    One of my concerns is the pickup position, as in the distance from the nut and that kinda thing.
    Could somebody out there give me the distance from the nut of a Stingray to the pickup. Thanks for your help.

2. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    First be sure that you really like the bass and will keep it for a long time

3. yeah, I'm sure I'll be holding on to it for a long time, since it's been hanging around for almost 20+ years.

4. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I was looking for some info on replacing a 'P' with an 'MM' and saw this thread. Did you install the MM and if so then how did it sound.

5. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    I recently got ahold of an 80's Squier II Precision that I'm thinking of doing something similar to. I'll be leaving the precision pickup and adding a MM at the bridge. I like the idea of the classic P thump with the option to bring in the MM bridge pickup to add some punchy hi-mids into the sound.

One thing important to the 'Ray sound, which I assume you're trying to get, is the pickup placement. It's a little further down than the P-pickup, but not completely out of it's space. That means you'd have a lot of open space. It could be done cleanly if you had a custom pickguard made to cover up the old holes.