1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fitting pick-ups on precision

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chevyfiftynine, Jan 5, 2018.

1. chevyfiftynine

chevyfiftynine

Dec 5, 2017
    I bought a Precision bass body in ash, and I'm fitting an Allparts neck with Fender pick-ups. The problem is, when I fit the scratchplate the rear pick-up ends up sloping down towards the neck and although I've tried packing foam etc under it to support it, it still keeps happening. It has to remain free to float on the springs. I've tried it over and over again, and the pick-up keeps on sloping at the front. Any ideas?

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Three choices:
    1. Relieve (file) the rear of the pickup rout in the pickguard so that the pickup does not contact it.
    2. Send the pickguard back with a template of exactly what you want (if this is a custom pickguard).
    3. Ignore it. The strings slope that way, too.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    basscapes and Big Shrek like this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would just file/sand the pickup opening (a little at a time) until the problem is resolved.

basscapes and Big Shrek like this.
  4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The rear pickup? Do you mean the bridge pickup or the rear half of a P pickup?

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

It’s binding on the pick guard. File the pick guard until it stops binding.

Cutting a pick guard for a bass with pups mounted by screws into the solid body isn’t an exact science. Also, tossing pickups into a bass at a factory doesn’t get much attention: drop em in and screw them down. Good to go. Pass it to the next station.

Just use a flat metal file to open the holes up till it doesn’t bind. Very easy to do.

Alternatively you can jam tooth picks and glue in the mounting holes and let that dry and reset the mounting screws where you want the pickup to sit.

basscapes, Big Shrek and Slater like this.
  6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    When building from parts, before installing pickup(s):

1. Install pickguard.
    2. Check fit at routs.
    3. If needed match pickguard rout to body rout.
    It can be done by machine or by hand.

By machine, install a straight cut router bit with a bottom bearing. Run the router in the cavity. The pickguard will now match perfectly. Router choice? You can do it with a Dremel tool, but a laminate trimmer works faster and cleaner. It is as easy to control as a Dremel and the visibility is just as good. Of course, with a bearing visibility is more about confidence. Larger routers are overkill.

By hand is a bit tedious but is still doable. Use a nut seating file, which has a safe edge, against the corners and proceed to work the plastic to the wood while leaving 1/32" or so for scraping. This will leave a radius at the corner. Finish the corners with a rat tail or half round file. Clean up with a razor blade scraper.

7. chevyfiftynine

chevyfiftynine

Dec 5, 2017
    Thanks for your advice everyone - I'll file down the rear of the bridge p/u opening and hopefully this will solve the problem. I'll let you know how I get on.

basscapes likes this.