1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fitting the control cover

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kran Banger, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Kran Banger

Kran Banger

Dec 1, 2006
    ive cut my control panel cover out of some black walnut so it matches the body, and i assume your supposed to route out the spot to put the control panel on the back of the guitar, however what is the best way to do that, am i just supposed to trave it on there and then freehand route it

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    for a rear routed bass, I utilize a pair of templates together with a pattern bit

* control cavity - smallest of two templates, and has provision for screw locations to mount the cover plate

* cover plate - larger of the two templates, and is used to route the shallower lip that the cover panel rests on. This is routed to a depth so that the cover is flush (or ever so slightly deeper) than the body surface

I also utilize a template for the rear cover itself, so that I have consistency in the clearance around the edge, and consistency from one bass to the next

all the best,

R

3. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    This is what I used to the template to get the depth of the piece of wood I'm using.........I'm making another "inner" template for screw holes tonight......
    [​IMG]

4. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I just did that today with a pair of templates, I'll get pics up tomorrow.!\
    and made a tracer temp for the actual cover
    for , yes consistency.