Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fitting tuners for 95 MIJ jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basonsubatomia, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Basonsubatomia

Basonsubatomia

Nov 8, 2002
    Does anyone know or have a resource for the proper fit of tuners for '95(ish) MIJ Jazz basses? I've talked to a couple of people who say that it varies (which makes me nervous about ebaying for a set), and no one was really %100 sure if given replacements would fit. I thought there must be someone on TB that would know something! The sad part is, I only need one... ah well.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    There are two types from my understanding. The classic style that has been on most MIA basses during the 70s and 80s and a more "contemporary" tuner used on the MIM and MIJ basses during the 90s and today on some models.

The difference is the size at the top of the tuner. The top of the tuner on the classic design is much wider than the bottom. The newer tuners are rectangular. Both will mount in the same spots at the bottom (assuming this is a 4 screw tuner). Their was also the hipshot style tuner that was used on a few models.

Compare your tuners to a store MIM/MIJ Fender you SHOULD have the same style. Fender made many basses with different specs and no one is sure what is on it. I would recommend going to a local store if possible and matching them up. Either style tuner you should see on ebay. Just compare yours to make sure you get the correct type