Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Five DB750s on ebay right now

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by msquared, Mar 14, 2005.

1. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'm hoping to purchase a Berg NV610 sometime this week, and since my little SWR Electric Blue is a bit underpowered for something like that I've been looking at my options for bigger bass amps in the last couple days.

And what do you know, there are five Aguilar DB750s on ebay right now.

I've seen them up before, but five at once? Did someone just release a DB750 killer or something?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nah,

happens... FYI, i just played a killer yet used DB750 / Epifani NYC 3x10 rig today at GC of all places, and HOLY FREAKIN', just an awesome sound. :cool:

3. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I've been using the 750 with an Epi 112 NYC, and it's like the two were made for eachother. Unbelievable tone out of this beasty!!! Still curious to hear the 902 though. . . ;)

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I think a lot of folks are turning these due to the weight. Compared to other amps out there it is a little heavy but I think it's easily worth it. In my 20 plus years of playing I've never heard better tone than a DB750. Also, it is considerably louder than most any other amps, some of which that rate higher in wattage. I had the Eden WT1000 power amp and ran it bridge mono into a 4 ohm cab for the full 1000 watts. The Aguilar is much louder and retains it's very sweet tone at any volume. Most every amp I've played tends to get harsh at high volume, not the case with the 750. The lows are very thick and fat but tight. I've always used a compressor be it on board or otherwise but with this amp I've no need.

5. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Well put, I completely agree. I suspect someone buys one not realizing exactly how heavy it is and then doesn't feel like lugging it to the gig. But, as I said to Dave Boonshoft I had those feelings carrying the 750 in to the first gig, but by the end I didn't mind a bit carrying it out. And this past week, I was happy to schlep that 45 lbs. in because I knew what huge creamy tones awaited me. I've also got a Thunderfunk which is an absolutely stellar amp in its own right and I love it, but it is thus far just being used for rehearsals. I am still totally blown away by the 750.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not to derail the thread, but is the Epi 902 out yet?

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I called epi a few weeks ago and they said it will be out in may.
    we will see.....

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    May is what I have heard as well. . .

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Man, five of them on ebay? Why is everybody dumping DB-750s? They must totally suck.

10. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Suck is what I have heard as well. . .

11. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Between the weight and the price, I can't really imagine ever owning one. For the money, I could buy 2 or 3 excellent used amps and have a variety for rehearsal, recording, gigging, etc.

Jake

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, I wouldn't give more than $500 for one.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that's what i thought when i first saw the DB728... :bag:

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Uh huh. And then ... ?

15. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    When I think about the price and weight of a good used poweramp and a good used tube preamp versus a DB750, I sort of balk. When I think about Aguilar's warranty policy, I really balk.

But I've never played through a DB750 and people with far more gear whoring experience than I have tend to rave about them. So that at least merits digging around for the opportunity to check one out.

And not that anyone is implying otherwise by the above comments, but I didn't start this thread thinking that they suck. I wouldn't have even typed the word "aguilar" into ebay's search field if I did. It was just curious and I thought it was worth mentioning in case I was missing out on something since, you know, I am in the market and all.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    They have a 10-year non-transferable warranty. Eden has a two-year non-transferable warranty. It ain't all that uncommon. Play one. You'll never go back to sheep.

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I know that the DB359 took a massive price jump a year or so ago. Did the DB750 also make a big jump in price at that same time?

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    and then this...

[​IMG]

and yes, i've used it for the "small" gigs... :smug:

jerry,

everything was hit by the price jump.

19. gruuv, i know this sounds dumb but your avatar is the creepest thing ever, i just realised now that it is winking at me

20. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Yeah, I'm not implying that the Aguilars suck. I'm sure they're outstanding. But even the highest-priced Eden won't run you more than about $900 used (I'm going on the fact that there are no used 1205s and such yet). Or you could spend around a grand, total, on an Eden Navigator pre and a power amp of your choice.

Bottom line, for the $1500 min. that those are going for on eBay, I could buy my Eden WT-400 (which I just got for $500), a Genz-Benz GBE600 (I just sold mine for $585 but only paid $325 for it), and an SWR Bass 350 (sold mine for $375 about a year ago) and have a nice selection of amps for all sorts of applications. And if I needed, I could run them all live into various enclosures depending on what my needs were. I'd rather have 3 smaller, lighter amps that I can separate and bring whenever I need to than have just one uber heavy, large amp that I have to bring whether I'm playing a stadium or practicing in my buddy's living room.

I'm just saying that the versatility of things that I could buy with the money from a DB750 is enough of a reason for me not to look into one. Not saying that anyone else should necessarily see things my way. :)

Jake