1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

five magics intro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wolfmaster19, Aug 2, 2012.

1. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    does anybody know what bass david ellefson used to record five magics?

that tone on the intro is just sick and i can't duplicate it with my p bass no matter what i try..

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Jackson.

Similar enough to the same thing he's using right now, his "Rust In Peace" sig bass is based on the bass he used to record the album.

3. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    good to know :crying: :D cannot .. resist.. :rollno:

4. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    And a pick. :)

5. mjcantor

mjcantor

Jan 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, Curt Mangan Strings
    Very aggressive pick attack.

On the album, it was a Jackson neck-thru bass with Alder body and Maple neck with EMG P/J combo. GK 800RB head into a pair of Hartke XL410 cabs.

Nowadays he uses the EMG P/J pickups but in the 40 soapbar sized housing, so the bass is virtually identical. He now uses a pair of Hartke LH1000 heads into a pair of Hartke Hydrive 8x10 fridges.

Saw Megadeth at Yankee Stadium last year during the Big 4 show, David's tone sounds just as good today as it did on the albums 20 years ago.

The active EMGs also have their own unique characteristic to them that gives him his punchy midrangey tone, as does the fact that they're a P/J combo as opposed to dual coil soapbars.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I was thinking, are you trying to get the tone from the original recording, or the remastered version?

His Jackson sig bass has EMG DC's in it, which I don't believe are P/J's. I'm pretty sure they're just standard soaps.

7. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    I think it'll be difficult to copy that tone without a bridge pickup.