1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Five Ridiculous Gun Myths

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
  2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
  3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Fantastic stuff. I wish everyone would read this, pro-gun or anti-gun. At least it would make a TBOT gun argument thread a little more informed :)

4. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
  5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    I was reading an interesting 'myth' on a different site, yesterday...

A man was fatally shot during the holidays in the parking lot of a popular restaurant. The victim HAD a criminal background, yet, and according to one customer-several people at the scene stated that the underlying cause relates to gun permit holders on the loose, and they surmised that the victim (who had a criminal background) must have been a permit holder, too!

:eyebrow:

Man shot dead in parking lot of restaurant was dining with famil - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |

6. I will have to check it out when I get home, but I'm sure it's nothing that will shock me :/

Would someone be nice enough to post a synopsis for those of us on controlled connections??

Peace,
    Greg

7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
  8. Mine's not blocked, but I can't be bothered to click the link... I can give you a pretty good guess as to what's there, though. let's see -- five things from television and movies, huh? how about:

1. Anything you hit with a bullet will explode in a huge conflagration. [another corrollary; any vehicle crash also results in a similar huge explosion, sometimes only moments after the main character is pulled from the wreckage]

2. Any weapon (it's especially funny when you see these in the movies attached to revolvers) can have a "silencer" attached, so assassins can take you out without alerting even a dozing doormouse. [They're suppressors, not "silencers"; not everybody can have one, you need to pay the tax stamp on it; and they are made for semi-automatic weapons, by and large]

3. If the other guy is wearing body armor, he is invincible.

4. guns are never "at the ready" and a round must be chambered immediately before firing. [reference: any episode of Miami Vice, where they not only had to work the slide to chamber a round, but also had to re-seat the magazine before that!]

5. A semi-automatic and an automatic weapon are the same thing, and they never run out of ammo.

-- how close did I come to what's in their list?

9. The only difference is you listed them in a different order. Good job.

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    *golf clap*

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I almost spat my drink out.

I don't know who these writers are, but I love reading Cracked.com articles solely on how clever the writers are. my God.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Five is pretty much the only thing you totally missed. There argument was the "Machine guns are invincible and never need to be reloaded argument". Rambo never reloaded. A fully automatic M4 has to be reloaded after 20 seconds of very inaccurate firing. A vast majority of sub-machine gun fire is used to suppress fire not to aim and kill.

And most firefights are dealt with in semi-automatic mode with controlled firing. One interesting stat, the Army estimates it goes thru 250,000 rounds of ammo for every enemy kill in Afghanistan and Iraq.

On one they pointed out that the same guys who are hiding behind couches and car doors are assuming a bullet can penetrate a gas tank at a hot enough speed too explode it. If you're hiding behind a car door in most gun fights your toast.

13. Dangit, you got me stuck on Cracked.com again. That site eats -hours- of time.

14. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Great read lol.

15. that's fine; I'm cool with an 80% passing grade. :hyper:

i can't remember which "news channel" I saw it on, but a few years ago there was a big story about how thousands were being killed/maimed by "celebratory gunfire" ...and the "reporter" on the scene climbed up onto the roof of some charming little abode and picked up an example of the sorts of terror that was raining down on the populace -- it was a completely intact, unfired .223 round. [apparently, nobody on that camera crew or the editorial staff knew anything about firearms at all, and hoped their audience didn't, either!!]

hmm. actually, it was probably a 5.56mm round, since it the story was in the Middle East. ;)

16. They were also including training ammo in that calculation, but I can say that my current percentage is probably 1,000-1,500:1 in shots fired versus shots fired at bad guys (which was a grand total of 2, for a warning shot, if you don't include the 2 flares I've put in the air for the same purpose, so that figure drops in half). Still, 500:1 and I've made many a paper target suffer :) :) .

Drill Sergeant Joe B. Fricks Rules For A Gunfight

#14 is the rule, and it's true. Unless your vehicle is up-armored the only safe place is to put the engine block between you and your opponent, and in these days of aluminum and magnesium engine blocks that's a crapshoot as well. A vehicle is concealment, at best.

Peace,
    Greg

17. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
  18. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Good read. I love it.

19. Relic