Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Five String Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass555, Mar 28, 2005.

1. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    Recommendations? I'm looking for one on the cheap?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Cheap? check out Rondo's site - the Aguilar is about as cheap as they get.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Musicyo.com carries Tobias 5 string basses. Aint cheap. 549.00 last time I looked.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    bass555,

You don't say where in the world you are. If you're in the UK or Europe, it's worth looking out for a Crafter BA-580EQ.

http://www.guitartek.com/product_info.php?cPath=87&products_id=1531

I've got a 4-string version and it's a nice bass for very little money. I love the unplugged tone and playability. The electronics are pretty useless (all fingersqueak and no bass) so I'm considering spending a little bit of money to upgrade them.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've had one of these for a couple months now. Mine is the same as the one in the picture below except for mine is fretted. You can get them in natural (like below), amber (a couple shades darker than the below) or an ebony quilt (stunning). The picture below REALLY does not do the bass justice, it's much more beautiful in person (the quilt is soooo deep)!

Killer AEB at a killer price! Most places sell them for about $500 free shipping. Gorgeous to look at too, I mean it's stunning in person. Quilted maple top, sides and back, abiloni and mother of pearl inlays on frett board and body. Plays like a champ, even plugged in because it has a Fishman pickup and preamp (classic 4). Zzsounds, Musicians Friend, etc all carry them. You can't get a better instrument for the money!
    [​IMG]

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Another vote for the Michael Kelly. Beautiful instruments!

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have recently bought an Ibanez AEB305LG for $570US + case. I am very pleased with it. Before I bought the Ibanez I looked at reviews of Michael Kelly basses and I concluded that the QC was a bit lacking: people were complaining of parts falling off, bad glue joints, poor fret jobs etc. Apparently if you get a good one it'll be really good, but they are uneven. This is a concern when you buy mailorder or over the internet.

I strung the Ibanez with Labella blacktape wound strings. That made it just right (for amplified use).

Attached Files:

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I saw some of the reviews on Michael Kelly that were not so favorable either. Turns out this was a quality control issue with their basses from 2+ years ago. Since then, they have made the necks wider (plus went from a 32" to a 34" scale), beefed up the bodies, etc, etc.

I emailed some of the owners of the reviews, called Michael Kelly to make sure that this was the case before pulling the tirgger. I also dealt with a place that accepts returns without issue and is known to have a temperature and humidity controlled warehouse (musiciansfriend.com believe it or not!).

When I got the bass, it did require a quick turn of the truss rod (wrench was included) to get it right. I called Michael Kelly and spoke to their tech before doing so. Their support is second to none. They even offered to do it for me or pay for me to go to a local dealer to have the setup done if what they suggested I try with the truss didn't work (which it did).

I'm sold on them. Unfotunately, they had a few bad apples when they got started a few years ago and that reputation has stuck with them, but I assure you, it's all good now and their support is second to none!