1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Five String Bass Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CeltikJim, Mar 22, 2009.

1. CeltikJim

CeltikJim

Mar 22, 2009
    Hi guys, i'm new here and I need help.

My five string bass is acting weird. My fifth string makes almost no sound and my fourth string is making alot and my first is making almost no sound too. How can I fix that. I have a Bass Collection bass guitar.

Thanks for your help. CeltikJim

2. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    adjust your pickup hight and see if that helps.

3. CeltikJim

CeltikJim

Mar 22, 2009
    No sorry it didn't help. Could it be the pickups themselves or the electronical parts having problem?

4. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    How old are the stings?

Did it ever work?

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    What is the pickup configuration?

What are the individual string heights relative to the pole pieces (or top of the pickup for pickups without exposed pole pieces) measured from the top of the pole piece to the bottom of the string?

If the bass is active, when was the battery last changed?

6. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Maybe try some compression and check your EQ.

7. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Maybe the pickup is bust. Hmmm, check the wiring inside. If that doesn't help, take it to a shop, your pickup probably is broken.

8. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    This is interesting. I have a Bass Collection 5 string (long since retired from active duty) that has the same problem with the B string. The pickups are EMG PJ with a BQC circuit, Gotoh bridge & tuners. Thinking it was a typical flabby B string, I converted it to a high C 5 string (strung E to C). Now the E string is quiet! I may have to pull the bass out of retirement and see if I can make any sense of it.