1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Five string bass search

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tzdroik, Mar 2, 2013.

1. tzdroik

tzdroik Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Western Wisconsin
    I am buying a 5 string and have played many in many price ranges. I have narrowed it down to the Warwick Corvette Double Buck ($759) vs. the G& L L2500 ($699). Anyone have any thoughts on either of these? I am worship bass player and also play in a country band. My rig is a Mesa M 6 with a vintage powerhouse 410. I have a Fender Jazz and was looking for a 5 string with humbuckers to vary things a bit. I want a 5 string mainly for the country stuff. So any thoughts, suggestions, or horror stories about either bass? Thanks.

2. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I don't know about the Warwick but the L-2500 is a smoking bass for modern country. There's a lot of tonal possibilities with a L-2500 if you like the big neck on them.

3. Man, you apparently found some absolutely outstanding prices! From those two I've only played the Warwick, and it's great. Very versatile with a solid B. I've heard a lot of good things about the G&L, though, and I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts on it. Good luck with your decision!

4. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I have an USA L- 2500 and am very pleased with it. About a 2004 model. I love the smaller 17mm string spacing and the overall build and feel of the instrument. It's joy to play. The price you quote is reasonable.

It took me a while to get my set up right though. I couldn't find a B string that worked on it until I went with Sadowsky Blue labels with a tapered B. Every other B I tried on it was a bit "thuddy" and lacked clarity. Now its clean as a whistle and slaps perfectly. There may be other B's that work but I tried DR Sunbeams at .130, TI Powerbass .119's, and some Dunlop strings at .125 with no luck.

They are very sensitive to the way you play and where you play it on the string. You can warm it up or crispen it up easily just by moving toward the neck or bridge. Bridge saddles and truss rod are easily adjusted.

I use mine for church and country just like you have in mind. Huge tone. Leave it at home for a 4 string P when I play classic rock.

I would recommend doing the bridge mod per the G&L bass website, that just made a great bass better. It involves plugging the string through holes with more screws. The bridge is only two screws and top load without the mod is not recommended.