Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Five String Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThumperCI6, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Hey, I am a bass player of about 3 years, and I would like to know what a good 5-string bass is...in the price range of $300-$500.

===========
    ===========
    ===========
    ===========

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I play a yamaha rbx 5string and I like it. I believe they are in that price range. I don't how great it stack up with everything else, since I haven't played everything else, but I can say I like mine and I believe it is a good investment

Shawn

3. yamaha is expensive! and really big! =X hehe if ya want good for the price.. go for esp ltd or ibanez.. or other brands that others love!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Yamaha RBX765 is $569 at Musician's Friend, IME you can get a better deal locally if you have cash and haggle with them.

IMHO it is a much better bass than the ESPs or Ibanez in the same price range.

[​IMG]

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    check out the CORT line. i believe they have 5-ers for under $500.

fred

6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm getting a curbow 5strFL here in the next few weeks. I'm paying 480 for it. You can get your hands on a fretted for around 400. From what I hear, thats a deal thats hard to beat

Shawn

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    you can get a few bass's in that price range.

soem id recomend looking into are

1. Fender Standard Series Jazz Bass
    2. Ibanez Sr405
    3. Dean
    4. Cort
    5. Esp
    6. Yamaha

you may even be able to get a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz for a lil over $500, and in my opinion gives the best tone for the money you spend. But Im not the one who's playing yours, so play as many as you can get your hands on and get the one that sounds and plays best to you.
    Happy hunting :oops:)