Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Five String Bongos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r05c03, Feb 26, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Hey, so being entralled by the EB Bongos, I have been keeping an eye on the used market. One thing that I have noticed is that there is a preponderance of 5 string bongos out there for sale. I would say the ratio is nearly 5 to 1. Do people buy 5 stringers that much more often these days or is it something about the 5 string bongos?

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    It could just be, and this isn't fact or anything, that more of the 4-string players prefer more classically-styled bodies.

It's just something I've noticed a lot of.

I play a 5-string Bongo, and love it. Now I'm looking at a new 4-banger; but for some reason the 4-string Bongo doesn't do it for me. It could just be my crazy train of thought; but when I think 4-string, I think of a jazz/precision type of body over 90% of the time.

3. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    As one of the people who recently sold a 5 string Bongo I will give my input. I sold it simply because I am not a 5 string guy. It actually was one of the most comforatable 5's I have ever played, but just not my thing. However, I do have another 4 string on order to go with my fretless 4 string.