1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Five String Bongos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r05c03, Feb 26, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Hey, so being entralled by the EB Bongos, I have been keeping an eye on the used market. One thing that I have noticed is that there is a preponderance of 5 string bongos out there for sale. I would say the ratio is nearly 5 to 1. Do people buy 5 stringers that much more often these days or is it something about the 5 string bongos?

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    It could just be, and this isn't fact or anything, that more of the 4-string players prefer more classically-styled bodies.

It's just something I've noticed a lot of.

I play a 5-string Bongo, and love it. Now I'm looking at a new 4-banger; but for some reason the 4-string Bongo doesn't do it for me. It could just be my crazy train of thought; but when I think 4-string, I think of a jazz/precision type of body over 90% of the time.

3. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    As one of the people who recently sold a 5 string Bongo I will give my input. I sold it simply because I am not a 5 string guy. It actually was one of the most comforatable 5's I have ever played, but just not my thing. However, I do have another 4 string on order to go with my fretless 4 string.