Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Five String Freakout

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3rd Rock, Mar 19, 2002.

1. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    I'm about to get my groove on with a new 5 string bass. I own a Sound Gear 5 string that I used to play out with in a cover band. Now when I play it, I can't imagine how I got through a set. The B string is so floppy/muddy sounding...it's crazy.

I'm looking at the following basses, and would like to hear your opinions :

Ibanez BTB1005E 5-String Bass $1269.99
    Stingray 5-String Bass $1319.99
    ReBop 5 $1049.99

Anything else in this price range I should be checking out? I'm thinking of getting the Ibanez right now, but am not really close to making a final decision.

Now my Ibanez SoundGear 5 string. What should I do with it? I remember paying between $600-$800 for it. Do you think it would make a good backup bass? I guess I could deal with a floppy B if it was an emergency? lol

I'm going to be ordering the bass through mail order. I do not like the music stores that are local to me, because they are a bunch of dorks.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I'm very happy with the B string on my Stingray. Haven't played the others, so I can't give an opinion. You can find used mint Stingray 5's between $800-900 often at sites like bassgear.com and harmonycentral.com classifieds. I wouldn't go new, but that's just me.
    Doc

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Is a Peavey Cirrus 5 in that price range?

Personally I wouldn't even look at Ibanez at that dollar amount. Stingray yes. I don't know about the Rebop. Others to consider: Czech Dean Edge Improv, they kick ass. Also, Fender Jazz five strings. I have an American Standard Jazz and it's absolutely fantastic.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get the Ray.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My 5 stringers are both Spectors (well I have a Washburn XS-5, I just can't part with it but can't remember the last time I played it!)

Anyway, I haven't tried a ReBop5 but the neck thru Czechs are fantastic - therefore I imagine the bolt ons to be the same. I also own a Korean Spector, the REX2000/5, it also plays really well and sounds terrific. I think these are great value for money!! Can't comment on your other choices.

Also, if you are thinking about going used, you could look for a nice Czech thru neck Spector on ebay or the likes!!

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Ibanez BTB's are fantastic basses. The higher end models have a great sounding, and tight feeling B string. I like the Stingray basses too, but I think that you can get a lot more tonal variety with the BTB. I really do like the pre-amp they use in it.

The Peavey Cirrus is a great bass, but I believe it is quite a bit more money than the basses you have listed.

7. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    I'm not sure, because I haven't seen the Peavey Cirrus 5 local or online for sale.

From what I hear the Peavey is awesome, but as a personal preference I don't really care for gold on basses. I know it's not a big deal, but it's just one of those personal choice things. heh

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Ibanez Bass that he's talking about is a REALLY nice bass. Great bass, sound, feel, etc. I haven't played a

Spector ReBop yet, but I have to soon!!!!! :) I'd look into a Czech Spector NS-5 CR.($1500) IMO, one of the best basses made under $2000!!!!!!

Personally, I don't like the sound of Stingrays, but the excellent quality is there, it playes great, feels great. if you like the sound, it's a good choice.

Lakland Skyline basses are really nice. I have a 55-01 ($749.99) & I LIKE IT alot more than I thought. The 55-02 has the same p/u's & electronics as the USA made 55-94 basses & costs alittle more. Personally I liked the 55-01 better w/the cheaper Barts & electronics.

Fender MIA(~$1200) or MIM(~$700) Deluxe basses. IMO great basses. I like the MIM version better because it has the same p/u's & pre amp as the older MIA Deluxe basses. The newer MIA DLX's have Noiseless pick ups which i don't like as much as the older p/u's.

9. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    There are little things I like about the BTB. I love the oil finish, and the Neutrik locking jack.

Do you guys usually use cheap basses for backup during a gig? In other words, should I keep my muddy Ibanez 5 for that? :)

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, my last gig I had both Spectors - but I knew it would be a safe gig! I guess maybe that's why I keep my old Washburn about. It plays fine, sounds good enough (but not a Spector). I can make it really good through my SE-70, but it's still no Spector.

I keep that for gigs that might not be so savoury (you know the ones I wouldn't take my Spectors to!)

11. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    Well, I never wanted to have to worry about my bass at a gig. If it gets scratched or whatever mishap may occur. Hence the reason why I'm not buying a $2000 bass. Having said that I think you do get what you pay for most of the time.

Anything above the $1000 mark is spending a lot of money for me, because I'm currently unemployed and a student. That's why when I do spend over $1000, I want to make sure I'm getting a freaking work horse.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I would think that you could get a Cirrus 5 for under $1400.00 new. If you can find a good used one, you may be able to do MUCH better than that.

I totally agree.

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    definitely keep your soundgear - bad stuff can happen at gigs ;)

almost every used wenge necked bolt on warwick 5 will be around that price, maybe even lower. great basses (although i am a bit biased)

the lakland skyline is a great bass as well, or if you're feeling adventurous you can build yourself something snazzy at www.warmoth.com.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The BTB1005E is the new model with the Bart pickups and preamp, right? If so, it is a great value at that price. The Rebop and Stingray are good basses too.

The Peavey Cirrus is better than all of the basses that you listed. Gold hardware or not, if you can find a used Cirrus 5 between $900 - $1100, that would be my choice. But, you're the one who has to live with the bass. So ultimately, you should get what YOU want.

15. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    The stingray 5 is the best of the three mentioned in my opinion. Another great sounding bass in that price range is the Fender Roscoe Beck 5. I own two of them and the tone is excellent. Also check out the Matt Pulcinella 5 on sale at the Bass Palace. I hear great things about these basses. Good luck with your purchase.

16. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    You can find a new Cirrus 5 (although probably not a tiger-eye or redwood) for <$1100.

For a very brief time, I had a Cirrus 5 and absolutely loved it. Great B string and very tonally versatile. Highly recommended in that price range.

good luck!
    darrelpr

17. On the flip side of the coin, have you considered upgrading the electronics in your SR? It might not be the solution in the long run, but for sure you would have a decent sounding back-up. I did it to mine and having done that, IMO I don't think a BTB sounds any better than my SR-505. Can't comment on the others, I've never had the chance to A/B them. Cheers

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm sure the BTB is great, but personally I don't like Ibanez and I really think they are extremely ugly. that's just me though.

3rd Rock, FYI the Dean Improv basses are made in Czechoslovakia by the same people on the same assembly line using many of the same parts as the neck-through Czech Spectors. They are very very nice basses that deserve a look if you like Spectors.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

JAYDEE - Is that Cowtown, as in Fort Worth?:)

What electronics did you put in your SR505? I have a 506 that sounds punt, and I would like to upgrade it so I can defret it. Right now the tone makes it unuseable to me.

20. Hi Embellisher, that's Cowtown (Calgary), Alberta. Last winter I installed Basslines ASB5-2 soapbars and the STC2-A preamp in my SR. I can dial in a lot of tones now, all with clarity and big bottom (definitely added growl to my B). In hindsight, I maybe should have got the 3-band preamp, but I'm pretty happy with what I have, definitely worth it from here. I don't know if this is still the case, but at the time I was unable to find the Bart stuff to fit on their site. Bart was my first choice, but Basslines stuff is no poor second choice. When do you intend to defret? I have been thinking the same thing for my SR when the next bass comes along for me. Are you doing it yourself?
    Cheers