1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Five string fretless... good choice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonwb, Jul 12, 2005.

1. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    Hi,

I've been playing a 4-string fretted Precision Bass for about 15 years. I'm a decent player... no slapping just groove rock. Anyway, I'm purchasing a new 5-string bass soon but I'd like to have the best of both worlds if possible. I've always wanted a fretless. Would a 5-string fretless be too much to master given the instrument I'm used to?

Either one (a fretless or 5-string) doesn't bother me... it's the two of them together that makes me wonder if it's a good idea :help:

Thanks for your input!

2. newchibass

newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Chicago
    I think that is a good idea. I've seen players have fretted 4's and their fretless as a 5. For one, it is less shifting with the 5 which will hopefully facilitate intonation not to shift as much. Another thing is that you are jumping into another realm with fretless so why not make the jump to a 5 at the same time. Just my opinion.

3. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Might want to make sure that you get a 34" 5 string fretless if you do. The combo of extra string, fretless, and a new scale length might be excessive. Then again I kinda like keeping all my instruments the same scale length if possible.

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I think it's a great choice. Right now I'm working on selling my current set-up. Once I get that done, my new setup will consist of a 4 string fretted jazz style bass, and a 5 string fretless of some type. I find that in 90% of the situations where I actually use the 5th string, I could also play on fretless. So for me, the two go hand in hand.

5. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    Well, a Fender American Jazz Bass V fretless is the same as my Precision... 34". Supposedly 35" scales provide better "B" control. With the Fender 5's, I've heard that the string spacing is a little tight near the bridge. I use a pick a lot so it shouldn't matter :meh: . Being a Fender connoisseur, I'm favoring these right now!

6. I went from a fretted 5 string to a fretless 6 strings... both 34' i think as long as u have determination and keep practacing u should be fine

7. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    Ok then thanks, I'm gonna go for it!

I have it down to two models: a Fender American Jazz Bass V or a Lakland Skyline 55-02... each about $1200. I know I can't go wrong with the Fender. I've been using one for years. The Lakland is well-regarded and has some nice electronics. No case though in the price... kinda strange.

Thanks for all your help and support!