Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Five string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Sep 3, 2001.

1. I'm a little worried on that if i buy a 5-fretless that the B string will sound a little wierd. but what do you think is the best 5 string fretless for all styles of music? because i play be-bop Rock,Funk jazz, heavy metel, punk... you get the point

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It ALL depends on the bass, as far as the B string. I actually prefer the tone of open strings on fretless to those on fretted. The frets aren't what make the low B sound good!

How much are you looking to spend? That's pretty important. Lined/Unlined? Any certain fretboard? Pickup preference? The more info the better! :)

3. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    STINGRAY 5 BROTHER!!!!!!!:D

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like Angus said, it would be helpful to know how much you are spending.

At the low price end, there is the Cort Artisan. Under $500, and a killer fretless. Tons of mwaahhh.

For a little more, there is the MTD Kingston. I've played the fretted, and it is a killer bass for the price. Haven't seen a fretless one yet, but guys that have(Gard, and maybe Brad Johnson) say that they are every bit as good as the fretteds.

From there, the next one I like is the Peavey Cirrus. I almost bought a fretless 5, until I found a great deal on my next pick.

Zon Sonus Custom. I bought mine used from another Talkbass member, and it is the best fretless that I have ever played. If you find a used one, you can get one for under $2000, depending on what kind of wood the top is made of, I have seen them as low as $1400.

At the low end, there is also the Fender MIM fretless and the Yamaha RBX270F. They are both good basses for the price, but IMHO are nowhere near the Cort or MTD in tone and quality of construction.

5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    One word for great 5-string fretless = Gary Willis.

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    at first i really liked my MIM Fender fretless...now i hate it.

;)

i hate to bore you all with my fave fretless rants....soo....

oh heck...

LIGHTWAVE SONUS!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry...

f

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Take your pick. Hot and cold running fretless fives.

8. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Great fretless. Mungibunga's basses are in another league.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego