Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

five string, frets/no frets?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i wanna get a new bass soon, to play kinda American Head Charge, Breed 77 type stuff. I got a vintage 5r now and a westfield four.

i wanna get a decent bass, definitely a five string, i'm considering a fretless but will this just hinder me in this type of music?

i'm lookin for one with a bit of a strange shape and i like warwicks and spectors but they're both mighty expensive for a 14yr old:(

2. I started learning bass with a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 (fretted) last year, and I was curious about fretless, so I bought the cheapest one I could find : a Yamaha RBX 260f. And I really enjoy this bass, and playing fretless. So I've now ordered a Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5 fretless, with lines.
    Some guys say that "real men" do not need fret lines, but I wanted to play, not to go back to school!

So In my opinion, if you already have a fretted bass, it can be a good choice to add a fretless to your arsenal. You can play whatever you want with a fretless : I play Primus, Police, early Jamiroquai, The Jam ... so no limit for a fretless, and lots of new sounds!

I don't have tried other "entry price" fretless, in 4 or 5, but I presume that Yamaha, Cort and Curbow may be a good choice (Ibanez too, maybe).

You can play on a fretless without this famous "mwoaaah" sound!;)

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
  4. Yes, if the RockBass plays like the "real" Corvette, it can be a good idea. But as the woods are differents from the Warwick (maple neck instead of ovangkol, rosewood instead of wenge), the sound must be different too. But the feel should be there.

I have played a Cort Artisan. They seem quite good for the price, but with a more traditionnal look ...

5. And just for information, I have cancelled the oder of my Warwick Fretless. They didn't want to put an ebony fretboard!
    So I'm going to order a Marleaux Fretless Edition (less expensive and so beautiful ... )!!!

For the Rockbass, I don't know heavy it is, but I find my Yamaha RBX260f very light and comfortable.
    The Ibanez can have some arguments on this side too ...