Five string "Jazz" Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Ok, here's the scenario. I've been saving up for a four string MIM Fender Jazz Bass for a while now, and it looks like only 5 or 6 weeks until I'll have enough. Anyway, I've recently been GASing for a 5 string as well; I want to go lower. So the answer's pretty simple, right? Just buy Fender's 5 string Jazz Bass. But of course it isn't that simple, I've played the 5 string Jazz Bass, and I hated it. To me, it didn't sound the same as the 4 string. So, here's what I need. Does anybody know of a half decent 5 string bass that will also give me a Jazz Bass sound? My price restriction is about C$800 (about $500 US). I might go to the music store this afternoon, if it's open (Canada Day, it may be closed). Thanks in advance.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Yamaha BBN5 gets good marks from the people here, and is cheap; around $500.
  3. Thanks Chris, I tried that bass today, and I loved it! I also tried another Yamaha, a BBG5S, I didn't like it as much, and it was more expensive, and a Ibanez Soundgear, I don't remember the model, I didn't really like that much either. I think I'll be buying the BBN5II, as soon as I get the money in a few weeks (I hope).
  4. Have you considered a Carvin? You get those factory direct with a 10-day trial period. The B5 is a bolt-on that falls in your pricerange. The LB75 is a neck-through body design that is closer to your $800 limit.

You may also want to look at an MTD Kingston, a Cort Curbow 5, a Tobias Toby 5, or an Ibanez BTB 5 series.

I'm sure there's more, but this is what comes to mind now.
  5. I don't want a Carvin, because I'm not comfortable with the idea of buying a bass before trying it out. As for the MTD and Tobias, I've never seen those before, the stores around my house mostly carry the big names like Fender, Ibanez, Yamaha, etc. I saw a BTB today, but it was a little pricy. I could spend that much, but I'd rather not. Also, I really like that Yamaha. Thanks for the suggestions.
  6. For me, I've always seen the 4 string Jazz and the 5 string J as similar to MM Stingray 4's and Stingray 5's - there's only one way to get 'that tone'. Even if I don't like Fender.
  7. holderman

May 25, 2000
  8. I think it might be good advice to not buy ANY bass before laying hands on it first. Even within the same make/model, there are differences in each instrument. You're taking a risk anytime you order a bass that you haven't yet played.

...and this from someone who has bought his last 3 basses off eBay......! If you're willing to risk it, fine, but be prepared....

I love the sound of my friend's Deluxe USA Jazz V, by the way. I've never heard a better bass......

9. Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.

I agree, I bought my Alvarez 4 at a local store, and loved it. I defretted it, and loved it any more. Then, badda bing badda boom I found a local Carvin 6-string, played it and loved it. But it was outta my price range. So I found one on ebay for much less, and ordered it. Big mistake, didnt sound NEAR as good as that Carvin at the store, and yet it was exact same model. Dont get me wrong, I think every Carvin 6 Ive played has sounded good, but this one just isnt as beefy as the local one.
  10. Ok, update. The music store has an RBX765A on sale for $600 ($400 US funds). It's on hold for me, and I'm going to look at it tomorrow, and if I like it, I'm buying it then. They had a few and they're selling fast, so I'm not risking losing this, If I like it of course. It has humbuckers, so I guess I'm not getting that jazz bass sound, but that seems less important than having a good 5 string bass, to me at least. Anyone have any experience with these? I know only I can judge what bass is right for me, but if anyone knows anything like problems I may encounter with it, that'd be a great help. Thanks to everyone who responded. Grr, the worst part is, if I buy it tomorrow morning, I have to work in the afternoon and wait all day until I play it. That's exactly what happened when I bought my last bass too.
  11. ULyanov, I recently bought a a Yamaha BB5NII and love it to death! It's got humbuckers, and it produces a very Fender like Jazz bass sound, but even more growly. I also played the RBX765A and liked it a lot. It has a flatter fingerboard profile, more like a Gibson while the BB5NII feels exactly like a Fender. They're both very good, underrated
    basses. I chose the BB5 because it had the *EXACT* sound I was looking for, and, it was passive. Either of these basses are great, but so is the Ibanez BTB405QM.

Good luck,
    Mike J.