five string jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Konquest, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    The latest thing I have decided to seek out is a modern, five string jazz-style bass. I would like the bass to have a wide string spacing as it would be my first five string and I play mostly thumbstyle. I also prefer natural wood finishes. What are some recommendations? Some that I have seen online:
    -Benevente Vintage Vortex
    -Elrick NJS
    -Lakland Joe Osborn
    -Sadowsky (a bit pricey for me, though)
    -Pedulla Rapture J2

Are there any others I should check out? Anyone played these? What should I be saving up for? Any input is appreciated.
  2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Well if you ever decide to go the Fender route, I'd have to say the Roscoe Beck Signature is one of the sweetest 5strings I've ever played
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    some fender 5's are great, some suck
    you just gotta play a bunch of them to find the gems
    otherwise a lot of companies make great jazz copy 5's but rather than recomend one, i suggest you try a bunch and find one that feels good to you
  4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The roscoe beck and the fender fmt5 that I have had were both pretty nice. As for stock Jazz 5's, make sure you play it before you buy it, they are hit and miss.

Lull has a decent jazz bass.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a five string made in USA Jazz and I love it. I would recommend checking Fenders out.
  6. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I also have one of these with the string thru body that is also has Active electronics that is a Blast ! to play.So much so,that the SR5 has been regulated to the closet.
  7. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    before you get completely "sold" on a Fender check out this thread.

I've owned a Fender Am Deluxe 5 string Jazz and a Mexi 5 Jazz. Neither came close to the feel, tone (couldn't stand the active tone in the American model) fit and finish, and neck specs IMHO. Worth checking out because they cost much less. Don't let the Korean thing bother you. They are putting out some good instruments these days. Of course...If you've got the cash for a it!
  8. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ...oops...sorry didn't read that you liked wide string spacing. The brice has SR5 spacing which is pretty narrow (2.75" at bridge).
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  10. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I have a Rapture J2000 5 string and it rocks.

Jazz Bass on Steroids!!!

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll second the Rapture J2000 recommendation. I used to have a sunburst Rapture J2 5 and it was a great 5 string Jazz. Not quite Sadowsky good, but a Sadowsky costs a lot more than a Rapture.
  12. from what I have heard the Benavente Vintage Vortex basses are killer. if you are not set on having the tradition jazz body shape. that one stands out to me because it is a custom for a good price. if you are considering a USA lakland JO you should also look into Mike Lull, he makes some great basses that I would say are similar to Sadowksy but not as much.
  13. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I get lots of compliments on the tone of my rapture and its one of the best playing basses I have owned or played.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Did someone say Benavente :cool:

The Vintage Vortex would be a great choice... I prefer the 51 style.

If you want the pure jazz look... the Fender Marcus 5 string looks sweet or the Sadowsky Tokyo Marcus looking bass.

But my money goes to Benavente... #2 is in production :cool:
  15. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i'm getting a Ken Smith (KSD) vintage 5 jazz in the not-so-distant future.

visit Adrian at
  16. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    I too have a Fender fiver aint nothing like the real thing. Other options are the MTD Grendel/beast and one other that I can't think of the name of right now. My next will be either a Lakland or a KSD I too prefer wide spacing Edit this pic is of a Ken Smith design Jazz from[​IMG]
  17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I'd just cut to the chase and get yourself a Sadowsky! No worries after that!

18. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I own one of these but I swapped out the preamp for a J-Retro, and this has pretty much become my main bass
  19. Plaese do tell us more about this bass, what kind of wood, is it heavey?

Me likes!!!!!