1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Five string P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsingles, Mar 8, 2008.

1. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-P-Bass-V-5String?sku=515754

the brand new 2008 american standard P bass V

my question is, do you guys think that bass will maintain the sound that its 4 string brother has? I know that there have been complaints about 5 string P basses not sounding like P basses, and Active P basses not sounding like P basses.

I am gassing REALLY hard for a P and I also would like a 5 string.. is this bass answering my prayers?!!? or will it not sound like it should?

2. One of the big parts of a p-bass sound is it's sustain or lack there of. Adding a 5th string with a bigger neck and different stress on the body is bound to change the sustain characteristics even if the electronics are close. The only way to really tell is to compare a classic 4 string with the new 5'er but, in my opinion it will probably sound somewhat different.

3. hmm you have a good point there... hah im having a bit of a dilema. I cannot decide which fender bass I want.. a 5 P a 5 J a 4P or a 4J... OH the gas pains.. I want all 4

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I make my own 5 string p-basses ...

Picture%20497.

Picture%20541.

pj5%20025.

b-strat%20022.

:bassist:

5. oh sweet jesus....

6. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    I just think that it looks funny with the asymmetrical split-coil.

7. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Nice, Can I have one?