Five String Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nightsblood, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Im looking to get my first five string, a Spector Rebop, and was wondering, are there any string companies that have a set that goes E A D G C, instead of the low B? Or am I destined to buy six string packs?
  2. G-Man

G-Man Keeping it Solid

Jun 1, 2005
    South Carolina
    If you don't mind ordering them, some online retailers, for example, offer single strings. You can buy the four string set of your choice, and then add the individual c-string you want. It will be considerably less expensive than buying a six string set.
  3. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    I second what G-man said.

I went to 3 different music stores locally and none had any sets with a high C.

I did, however, at the last one, find a bargin box with loose/single strings. I looked and looked and at the very bottom, wouldn't you know it, was a Ken Smith C! I also found a G and it worked out very well.

Online would probably be the best way to go. If you are looking for loose strings, you are looking at somewhere between a .25 and .32 gauge string for a C. The one I found is a .30.

Incidentily, I had a 4 string Warwick set that had a .30 G. I don't know why, but when I tried to tune it up to a C, it had too much tension for my liking.

Anyway, I found the C and G I mentioned earlier, and I go to move the existing strings down and for grins, I thought I'd try the G I had just bought and reuse my old .30. It worked fine in this instant. Go fig. I now have an extra C.

Hope that helps.
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There are high C sets available. Go to, and look through their bewildering array of strings and you'll find them. For instance, they have the La Bella Deep Talkin' roundwound set 760RL-C, which is .029-.106. They probably have some others as well.