Five String + Talkbox ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheSilentCircus, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Hey Talkbass,

I've been lurking for awhile, this is my first post. The community seems very helpful, so I thought I'd put out a question I've been wanting to ask for awhile.

For those who don't know what a talkbox is, this video should help.

Basically, the keyboard sound is sent through to a small speaker which is housed in a small chamber, or box, with the clear tube running from there to the vocalist's mouth, where the shape of the mouth/throat affect the signal, making it 'speak', which is all picked up by the mic.

I've seen it done with guitars and keyboards. My question is does anybody know, or can anybody predict the outcome if I were to play a five string bass through one ? I mostly play with my fingers, and slap is a favourite style of mine.

Thanks !

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It works, but the size and shape of your mouth cavity, as well as the tiny speaker driver, severely restricts the range of low frequencies that will be heard through your vocal mic. Basically you end up talkboxing just the higher notes, and the upper harmonics of the lower notes. Still fairly cool though, and I'd say blending the miked/effected signal with your clean bass would sound good.

3. Hey, thanks for the tip. Do you have any suggestions as to how I'd do what you suggested ? That sounds fairly interesting too.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Blending a mic signal with a bass signal requires a mixer of some type, one that has both a mic preamp channel and a Hi-Z instrument preamp channel. There are some small mixers by Yamaha, Behringer, ART, Rolls, etc. that would do the job. There are also a couple of bass amps and studio preamps that have the ability to mix a mic and an instrument.

5. roosterbike

roosterbike

Aug 24, 2009
    Western NC
    I used the rocktron banshee one and had a pretty fair result, but had to use too mch gain do get the low to really come out, still a great effect.....the crowd loved it:hyper::bassist:

6. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

May 31, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    maybe run a separate loop through an octave pedal to the talkbox? Like +1 octave on a whammy or a Pog?

7. i demonstrate a 5er though a talk box. never had any problems

if you want the low end to come through, you're going to have to run a split and send a clean signal to your amp. i normally do this with the other output of my stereo chorus pedal

8. Thanks for the responses guys, and a huge thanks to Sonic Assasin for the video. I dropped you a comment, thanks a lot for that !

9. no problem. a couple months ago people requested a talk box demo and i happen to play 5's exclusively.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021