1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Five string with a high string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 6, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, i never liked 5 strings.... but then i rememberd that you can have a high string, instead of that low b. who makes 5 strings with the high c on it?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

You can string any 5 string that way, if you prefer. Might be a good idea to have a new nut cut, and you may have to set up the bass, but lots of people string them that way.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, melodic crap would just be awesome on that baby, I was just worried about the nut being cut for that huge b string, and not being able to string it the other way. i think coklin makes one like that.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Perhaps I got lucky, but when I changed to EADGC, all I had to do was a quick truss rod adjustment. No rattling at the nut at all.

5. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    As I do not play a 5 string, if tuned with the C, wouldn't you have a really thick (low) E, and so on? I guess what I'm asking is, do you just tune the strings differently? The B becomes E, etc?

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Matthew Garrison is a really hip bass player who uses that tuning. Matt Garrison I just made a 5 with a high C for a former student of mine who now studies with Matt in NYC. Here is a picture: [​IMG] (I hope to have a better photo up soon).

I tried it out for a while, but found the tuning a little confusing -I'm so used to the bottom string being a "B" that it messed with my head. :confused:

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The E doesn't get any thicker, nor do any of the other strings. The way most people do it is that they buy a six-string set and pitch the low B. Shuffle each string over a slot, the E to the former B, the A to the former E, etc., and add the C.

8. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Gotcha and Thanks:D

9. Tuning a Low B to to E would put a lot of strain on the string core, and the likelihood of the string breaking is pretty good.

I should buy 6 string sets, just to have the extra strings around.

10. I tuned my 4 string ADGC just to mess around with the high C and used a guitar's A string for it. It sounds pretty well, just as good as any other C on a 6 stringer, but with a little rattling on the open string notes.

11. That rattling was probably from the string sitting too loose in the nut.

Off the top of my head I don't remember the guage of a guitar A string, but I'm pretty sure it is thinner than a high C.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    It is.