Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Five string with a high string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 6, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, i never liked 5 strings.... but then i rememberd that you can have a high string, instead of that low b. who makes 5 strings with the high c on it?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can string any 5 string that way, if you prefer. Might be a good idea to have a new nut cut, and you may have to set up the bass, but lots of people string them that way.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, melodic crap would just be awesome on that baby, I was just worried about the nut being cut for that huge b string, and not being able to string it the other way. i think coklin makes one like that.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Perhaps I got lucky, but when I changed to EADGC, all I had to do was a quick truss rod adjustment. No rattling at the nut at all.

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    As I do not play a 5 string, if tuned with the C, wouldn't you have a really thick (low) E, and so on? I guess what I'm asking is, do you just tune the strings differently? The B becomes E, etc?

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Matthew Garrison is a really hip bass player who uses that tuning. Matt Garrison I just made a 5 with a high C for a former student of mine who now studies with Matt in NYC. Here is a picture: [​IMG] (I hope to have a better photo up soon).

I tried it out for a while, but found the tuning a little confusing -I'm so used to the bottom string being a "B" that it messed with my head. :confused:

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The E doesn't get any thicker, nor do any of the other strings. The way most people do it is that they buy a six-string set and pitch the low B. Shuffle each string over a slot, the E to the former B, the A to the former E, etc., and add the C.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Gotcha and Thanks:D

9. Tuning a Low B to to E would put a lot of strain on the string core, and the likelihood of the string breaking is pretty good.

I should buy 6 string sets, just to have the extra strings around.

10. I tuned my 4 string ADGC just to mess around with the high C and used a guitar's A string for it. It sounds pretty well, just as good as any other C on a 6 stringer, but with a little rattling on the open string notes.

11. That rattling was probably from the string sitting too loose in the nut.

Off the top of my head I don't remember the guage of a guitar A string, but I'm pretty sure it is thinner than a high C.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    It is.