Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Five string with nice highs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I was originally going to get a six string, but my price bracket (800-1200 CAD) is incredibly weird and I'm finding that if only I was willing to go up about $200 or 300 (which I really can't) I could find some great deals, but at the same budget, I can get one hell of a five string! I'm going to string it EADGC -- I'm loving the tapped chords and ringing harmonics :D. While I might on occasion string it BEADG, and a nice B string is good, 90% of the time it'll be in EADGC so I'm really curious about the highs. Any reccomendations?

On the note of fivers I've really liked...there's a G&L Tribute 2500 at a local music store that I really, really enjoy playing. Great neck, nice weight, great sound (I'm loving the fact they use the US pickups in the tribute series!) and the higher end Yamaha BBN_05 (I can't remember the exact number) was also quite nice to play. My price range is about 800-1200 CAD, but I'm considering just going with the G&L and picking up a tribute fretless in the summer.

2. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    a stingray5 has good highs.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I noticed...I played one (the first musicman I've ever seen in person -- I'm so sheltered! :() and it was fantastic. The price was about $300 more than my spending limit, though.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Ibanez BTB is a great sounding bass. It is the only Ibanez that has really interested me. the feel, and the sound are awesome. You would do well to check one out.

5. I think the Ibanez BTB series gives a lot of bass for the money. If I were looking on a budget, I would sure look at them.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ehhh...I really can't get a chance to play any BTB's at all, and there's a killer deal on a Tribute L2500 at a local store. I'm probably going to just pick it up tomorrow night.

7. The tribute is a better bass then the BTB,s IMHO.

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'd recommend a new or used MTD Beast, Grendel or Saratoga.

9. i own an ibanez BTB, and the highs are great, its a really good bang for the buck

10. What about a used SR5?

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Lakland Skyline 55-02. GREAT high's. GREAT low "B".

I am a SERIOUS Lakland Person and IMO They are the Best 5 strings you can get.