Five string with nice highs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I was originally going to get a six string, but my price bracket (800-1200 CAD) is incredibly weird and I'm finding that if only I was willing to go up about $200 or 300 (which I really can't) I could find some great deals, but at the same budget, I can get one hell of a five string! I'm going to string it EADGC -- I'm loving the tapped chords and ringing harmonics :D. While I might on occasion string it BEADG, and a nice B string is good, 90% of the time it'll be in EADGC so I'm really curious about the highs. Any reccomendations?

On the note of fivers I've really liked...there's a G&L Tribute 2500 at a local music store that I really, really enjoy playing. Great neck, nice weight, great sound (I'm loving the fact they use the US pickups in the tribute series!) and the higher end Yamaha BBN_05 (I can't remember the exact number) was also quite nice to play. My price range is about 800-1200 CAD, but I'm considering just going with the G&L and picking up a tribute fretless in the summer.
  2. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    a stingray5 has good highs.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I noticed...I played one (the first musicman I've ever seen in person -- I'm so sheltered! :() and it was fantastic. The price was about $300 more than my spending limit, though.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Ibanez BTB is a great sounding bass. It is the only Ibanez that has really interested me. the feel, and the sound are awesome. You would do well to check one out.
  5. I think the Ibanez BTB series gives a lot of bass for the money. If I were looking on a budget, I would sure look at them.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ehhh...I really can't get a chance to play any BTB's at all, and there's a killer deal on a Tribute L2500 at a local store. I'm probably going to just pick it up tomorrow night.
  7. The tribute is a better bass then the BTB,s IMHO.

8. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'd recommend a new or used MTD Beast, Grendel or Saratoga.
  9. i own an ibanez BTB, and the highs are great, its a really good bang for the buck
  10. What about a used SR5?
  11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Lakland Skyline 55-02. GREAT high's. GREAT low "B".

I am a SERIOUS Lakland Person and IMO They are the Best 5 strings you can get.